BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ScotchCat
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi - I have a data table that contains a field that represents number of months and a datetime field.   

I'm attempting to subtract the 'Months' field from the 'LastDate' field to create the 'NewDateNeeded'. 

Any assistance appreciated!!   

Months LastDate NewDateNeeded
2   01SEP2021:00:00:00   01JUL2023:00:00:00
1   01MAR2022:00:00:00   01FEB2022:00:00:00
4   01MAY2019:00:00:00   01JAN2019:00:00:00
3   01DEC2022:00:00:00   01SEP2022:00:00:00
4   01JUL2023:00:00:00   01MAR2023:00:00:00
2   01JAN2019:00:00:00   01NOV2018:00:00:00
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Try this modification of my earlier code

newdateneeded = intnx('dtmonth',lastdate,-months,'s');
format newdateneeded datetime18.;
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Since your "dates" are actually what SAS considers to be date/time values, you need to use a date/time interval in INTCK.

In a SAS data step, use

newdateneeded = intck('dtmonth',lastdate,-2,'s');

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

I think we have a typo and want INTNX instead of INTCK here.

ScotchCat
Obsidian | Level 7

P.S. I forgot to mention that my table has well over 5K rows, typing in the month to subtract individually is not an option.  I've tried the field name instead without success.  Please Help!!  

ballardw
Super User

@ScotchCat wrote:

P.S. I forgot to mention that my table has well over 5K rows, typing in the month to subtract individually is not an option.  I've tried the field name instead without success.  Please Help!!  

The way your initial post reads very strongly implies that  your existing data set has a months variable to apply to the given Lastdate value. If that is not the case then where have you provided information on why month is wanted? No where.

What "field name"???? You haven't shown anything like a "field name" that would hold anything related to a number of months.

So show us an example of your actual data set. Don't add or remove anything. Then using that example of the data walk us through description of how we are supposed to know that Lastdate needs to be shifted by 2 months, 1 month or 16 months. Whatever is needed.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Try this modification of my earlier code

newdateneeded = intnx('dtmonth',lastdate,-months,'s');
--
Paige Miller
ScotchCat
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank You!!!   This worked perfectly!!  

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation