BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
benvar
Fluorite | Level 6

I have data showing multiple payments from different accounts from 50 states.  I want to group all the payments by account number in a given state, find out the percentiles (p25, p75, IQR) and calculate the outliers (p75 + 1.5 X Interquartile Range [IQR]), calculate the total payments for each state, and calculate the percentage of payments above the outlier limit (sum of payments above limit / sum of total payments).  I have used a combination of DATA steps, PROC UNIVARIATE, PROC SQL, PROC COMPUTAB to get my desired results without success.

I have this:

State     Payment     Account#

NC          $400             A123

NC          $320             A123

OH          $50               B234

OH          $30               A145

OH          $100            B234

OH          $225            A145

....            .......             ......... 

And I want this:

State      Total Payments   p25      p75   Outlier_Limit    % of Payments above Outlier_Limit

NC           $620                  $20    $300         $720.00                           2%

OH           $405                  $15    $180         $427.50                           4%

(Note: I didn't actually calculate percentiles, outliers, or payment % for the above example)

Can someone please help and lead me on the correct path?

1 REPLY 1
Reeza
Super User
You're asking too many questions at once for starters. Break your problems down into steps. For a problem like this, I'd use this order:

1) how to first calculate all the summary statistics 2) then how to identify my outliers
3) how to format the table to the appearance desired.

PROC MEANS/SUMMARY is the right path.

What does your code look like so far? We can't know if you're on the right path or in left field without the code.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation