BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tan-wongv
Obsidian | Level 7

I successfully grouped the diagnosis code into disease classes and label it as "yes" for each DMRN. This is how the outcome looks like:

DMRN DX_CODE DX_NAME nervous circular respiratory genitourinary constipation DM
7 I10 hypertension   Yes        
7 J44.9 COPD     Yes      
7 M19.90 Arthritis            
7 N40.0 BPH       Yes    

Then, I would like to collapse the rows so that each DMRN has only one row and drop DX_CODE and DX_NAME.
This is how I want the table look like:

DMRN

nervous

circular respiratory genitourinary constipation DM
7   Yes Yes Yes    

What codes should I use? Thank you so much for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @tan-wongv,

Make sure that your dataset ("HAVE") is sorted by DMRN and then use a DATA step with an UPDATE statement:

data want;
update have(drop=dx: obs=0) have(drop=dx:);
by dmrn;
run;

This code drops variables whose names start with "DX" and creates one observation for each DMRN, containing the last non-missing value (if any) of NERVOUS, CIRCULAR, etc.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @tan-wongv,

Make sure that your dataset ("HAVE") is sorted by DMRN and then use a DATA step with an UPDATE statement:

data want;
update have(drop=dx: obs=0) have(drop=dx:);
by dmrn;
run;

This code drops variables whose names start with "DX" and creates one observation for each DMRN, containing the last non-missing value (if any) of NERVOUS, CIRCULAR, etc.

tan-wongv
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate your explanation 😊

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation