BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
aperansi
Quartz | Level 8

The main objective I need to accomplish is grouping all observations by the LAP column while also gettinga SUM of all the prices associated with a each LAP. 

Some detail about the report that I think may help are as follows:

• The api_call column is a representation of a specific product that we order.
  • Each api_call on the dataset has a different price associated with it depending on the product. 
    • Not all products are showing on the below screenshot
  • The LAP column encompass multiple api_calls keys. 

Below is a picture of the dataset I am currently working with. 

2019-04-25 14_31_06-ictsasappem - Remote Desktop Connection.png

Please let me know if there is any information I need to provide in order to make this easier to solve. Thank you for your time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
proc summary data=have nway;
    class date lap;
    var price;
    output out=want sum=;
run;
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@aperansi wrote:

The main objective I need to accomplish is grouping all observations by the LAP column while also gettinga SUM of all the prices associated with a each LAP. 

Some detail about the report that I think may help are as follows:

• The api_call column is a representation of a specific product that we order.
  • Each api_call on the dataset has a different price associated with it depending on the product. 
    • Not all products are showing on the below screenshot
  • The LAP column encompass multiple api_calls keys. 

Well, from the first sentence, you seem to want a result that ignores api_call, but you spend some time discussing api_call, which seems to indicate it is of some importance. Perhaps you can clarify?

Anyway, here is some code that might get what you want:

proc summary data=have;
    class lap api_call;
    types lap lap*api_call;
    var price;
    output out=want sum=;
run;
--
Paige Miller
aperansi
Quartz | Level 8
Hey Paige, Thank you for your reply. The reason the api_call column is important is that each row that has an api_call has a unique price associated with it. The LAP column is essentially a group of api_calls. In order to get the price of one LAP, I need the various api_calls added together to get me the price. Hope this explanation helps.

I tried to code you wrote out and that didnt work for a few reason. I need the date added in there so i can get the total price for each month down the line.

Also: when I scroll through the data, I am still seeing duplicate LAP keys. There should only be one of these. The only reasons there would be two is because there are multiple api_calls per one LAP.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@aperansi wrote:
Hey Paige, Thank you for your reply. The reason the api_call column is important is that each row that has an api_call has a unique price associated with it. The LAP column is essentially a group of api_calls. In order to get the price of one LAP, I need the various api_calls added together to get me the price. Hope this explanation helps.

This translates in my mind to: you need the sum of price within each LAP. Is that right? I guess I don't see the importance of api_call, you can get the sums without ever looking at the actual api_call number. Is that right?

I need the date added in there so i can get the total price for each month down the line.

Is the date column an actual SAS date value, formatted to 2019-04, or is it truly the text string 2019-04?

--
Paige Miller
aperansi
Quartz | Level 8
I think we are on the same page. I want the total price of each LAP. So if a LAP appears on there more than once, all the LAPS should be summed and the outcome should only be one LAP.

The date is a SAS date value I believe. It is currently formatted as yymmdd10. I originally got the date from a sql query and converted the datetime using datepart function.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
proc summary data=have nway;
    class date lap;
    var price;
    output out=want sum=;
run;
--
Paige Miller
aperansi
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you for your help Paige!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation