BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Oernfeldt
Calcite | Level 5

Dear all, 

I am new to SAS but advanced in STATA. I have a variable called hfaudd (highest accomplished education) which I would like to formate to a better (esier to interpret) variable with Primary school, Upper secondary school, higher education and Post graduate. The variabel is confusing build up, where it goes from 1-9914 with each education being a differnt number.

I got a piece of code from a collegue: Newvar = put(hfaudd, $AUDD2010-LIL5-K.), which for me look like SAS. Can anyone tell me what "$AUDD2010-LIL5-K" is supossed to do? or maybe the hole thing in a contekts? 

I know AUDD is a register, but do not know about LIL. 

Then if i am lucky I could start seeing a pattern in the variable and might even be able to solve the problem in STATA. 

Best Mads Ø

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Panagiotis
SAS Employee

Looks like it's a custom format for your specific use case. So someone most likely created it.

For example.

I have this data for my business

Column

That doesn't mean much. I am creating a custom format to make this more meaningful.

My custom format is named businesstype, and will format those numbers to the following:

1 = Local

2 = Global

3 = Unknown

Now I can apply that custom format I created into a new column.

So I would use:

newColumn = put(column, $businesstype.)

New table will look like this:

Column   NewColumn

1              Local

2             Global

1             Local

1             Local

3             Unknown

The $ sign in front of the format indicates it's character. The put function returns a value using a specified format.

PUT Function

Format PROC

Run this program. It'll create a format and a table, then apply that format to create a new column. At the end it has code how to see what your format does. Looks like your original column is probably character since the format uses a $ sign.

You will have to adjust the format proc to find where you format is if you want to see what it does.

/*create custom format*/
proc format;
	value $businesstype 
		'1' = 'Local'
		'2' = 'Global'
		'3' = 'Unknown';
run;

/*create fake table*/
data test;
	infile datalines;
	input Column :$4.;
	datalines;
;
run;

/*apply format*/
data newtable;
	set test;
	NewColumn=put(column,$businesstype.);
run;

/*view what the format does*/
proc format fmtlib lib=work; /*lib= points to the library the format is in. Mine is in work, not sure where yours is.*/
	select $businesstype; /*select the format to view*/
run;

- Peter

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Panagiotis
SAS Employee

Looks like it's a custom format for your specific use case. So someone most likely created it.

For example.

I have this data for my business

Column

That doesn't mean much. I am creating a custom format to make this more meaningful.

My custom format is named businesstype, and will format those numbers to the following:

1 = Local

2 = Global

3 = Unknown

Now I can apply that custom format I created into a new column.

So I would use:

newColumn = put(column, $businesstype.)

New table will look like this:

Column   NewColumn

1              Local

2             Global

1             Local

1             Local

3             Unknown

The $ sign in front of the format indicates it's character. The put function returns a value using a specified format.

PUT Function

Format PROC

Run this program. It'll create a format and a table, then apply that format to create a new column. At the end it has code how to see what your format does. Looks like your original column is probably character since the format uses a $ sign.

You will have to adjust the format proc to find where you format is if you want to see what it does.

/*create custom format*/
proc format;
	value $businesstype 
		'1' = 'Local'
		'2' = 'Global'
		'3' = 'Unknown';
run;

/*create fake table*/
data test;
	infile datalines;
	input Column :$4.;
	datalines;
;
run;

/*apply format*/
data newtable;
	set test;
	NewColumn=put(column,$businesstype.);
run;

/*view what the format does*/
proc format fmtlib lib=work; /*lib= points to the library the format is in. Mine is in work, not sure where yours is.*/
	select $businesstype; /*select the format to view*/
run;

- Peter

Oernfeldt
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very must for the quick answer! I will look in to it. 

Best Mads

Panagiotis
SAS Employee

No problem!

- Peter

mkeintz
PROC Star

However, the use of dashes in the name of the format  ($AUDD2019-LIL5-K) is not permitted in SAS.   So I would be very interested to know how this was successfully used in a sas program.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
Panagiotis
SAS Employee

I noticed that as well. I figured maybe the creator knows of a workaround that I am not familiar with? I'd love to know how they did too.

- Peter

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation