BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pkopersk
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I have some issues with the format of my macro variables. 

I have a program where I have to determine around 15 macro variables by hand and I am trying to automate the process. 

One of such variables would be:

%let ddebdet='01jan2016'd; 

All of those 15 variables refer to different dates. I am trying to automate the process using the following code:

%let year=2018; 
%let month=11;    

data _null_;  
	call symputx('ddebdet', put(intnx('day',mdy(12,31,&year-3),0)+1,date9.)); 
run;

The idea is to adapt only two variables. Year and month, in this case and to generate 01jan2016 automatically.

This is the output that I'm getting:

2275  %put &ddebdet;
01JAN2016
2277  %let ddebdet='01jan2016'd;
2278  %put &ddebdet;
'01jan2016'd
2281  %let year=2018;
2282  %let month=11;
2284  data _null_;
2285      call symputx('ddebdet', put(intnx('day',mdy(12,31,&year-3),0)+1,date9.));
2286  run;

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.00 seconds
      cpu time            0.00 seconds

2289  %put &ddebdet;
01JAN2016

As you can see there is a difference between 

2278  %put &ddebdet;
'01jan2016'd

and

2289  %put &ddebdet;
01JAN2016

It is quite problematic because the rest of my code doesn't work with the auto generated solution. For example this 

data det;
   set data
    (where=(&ddebdet<=datepart(dtismaj)<=&dfindet and ctyp='350')); 
run;

Returns the following error:

NOTE: Line generated by the macro variable "DDEBDET".
1230  01JAN2016
        -------
ERROR: Syntax error while parsing WHERE clause.
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !, !!, &, *, **, +, -, /, <, <=, <>,
              =, >, >=, AND, EQ, GE, GT, LE, LT, NE, OR, ^=, |, ||, ~=.

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

I don't really understand why I am having this issue.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

The "why" you are getting the results is easy.  Within a SAS program, this is the right way to refer to a specific date:

'01jan2016'd

This is not a date, it is just a text string:

01jan2016

The question becomes what to do about it.  While there are a number of ways to correct the problem, one way would amount to a small change.  At the point where you have generated this as the value of your macro variable:

01jan2016

Add a statement to modify the value:

%let ddebdet = "&ddebdet"d;

Use doublequotes, not single quotes.  That changes your macro variable into an acceptable form to represent a date.

There are other ways to simplify the program, but this would be the easiest fix.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Astounding
PROC Star

The "why" you are getting the results is easy.  Within a SAS program, this is the right way to refer to a specific date:

'01jan2016'd

This is not a date, it is just a text string:

01jan2016

The question becomes what to do about it.  While there are a number of ways to correct the problem, one way would amount to a small change.  At the point where you have generated this as the value of your macro variable:

01jan2016

Add a statement to modify the value:

%let ddebdet = "&ddebdet"d;

Use doublequotes, not single quotes.  That changes your macro variable into an acceptable form to represent a date.

There are other ways to simplify the program, but this would be the easiest fix.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Adding to what @Astounding said, generally you would not want to format the macro variables at all. Just use straight unformatted SAS date values or unformatted SAS date/time values.

The only times you would want formatting is for human readability when outputting results, or human readability when inputting results. But its less work to code these things without the formatting for use in the macro processor, where human readability is not required.

--
Paige Miller
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Hello,

When you have to filter dates in SAS then you need to pass a date value, i.e. the value you have passed need to be understood by SAS. Leave the date value as numeric without formatting it, if you want to use a formatted value then convert that numeric value into your formatted vaue.

%let year=2018;
%let month=11;

%let date=%sysfunc(mdy(&month,01,&year));

%put &=date;

%let date_formated=%sysfunc(mdy(&month,01,&year),mmddyy10.);
%put &=date_formated;
Thanks,
Suryakiran

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation