BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JoanneR
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I have been trying to get SAS to read through a list of keywords that are saved in an excel spreadsheet and then search for those words in variables from a sas dataset. 

What I've been doing is using setting those words into a macro and then using the "scan" and "findw" functions to search for the words. (code below). This was working fine until I realized that some of my words in the list have comma's in between them. An example of this problem is we might have the word "1,3-monocytocane" and the variable may have the following reported: "Out of those present 1 had fun." In this case, the "1" would be captured as a keyword and new_var would then equal 0. 

I have over 100 words and I can't change the way they are written. I've tried creating a few proc sql to tackle the problem, but I'm not getting what I need. 

proc sql;
select words into:samplelist separated by ','
from wordlist
where words ne "" ;
quit;
%put &samplelist;

data temp2;
set temp1;
	new_var=1;
	i=1;
	do while ((scan("&samplelist",i,",") ne '') and new_var>0);		
	  i+1;															
	  name=scan("&samplelist",i-1,",");							
	  indx_var=findw(lowcase(old_var),compress(lowcase(name)));
	if indx_var>0 
		then new_var=0; 	
		else new_var=new_var+1;
	end;
run;

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If I understand this right then it's you who is populating a macro variable with a list of words. If so then why don't you just use something else than a comma as delimiter between the words. You could for example use a pipe character (|);

Then just use this pipe character in the scan() function.

scan("&samplelist",i,'|')

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

If I understand this right then it's you who is populating a macro variable with a list of words. If so then why don't you just use something else than a comma as delimiter between the words. You could for example use a pipe character (|);

Then just use this pipe character in the scan() function.

scan("&samplelist",i,'|')

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

This wouldn't work?

proc sql;
create table temp2 as
select
    old_var,
    words
from 
    temp1 as a left join 
    wordlist as b
on findw(old_var, words, " ", "sti")) > 0;
quit;
PG

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation