BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello Experts,

I have a datasets which has a lot of information. I have imported an excel file (Nov_BF) which has just 43 account numbers (Account_ID). I want to see if these 43 account number are available in the Finrep_sorted dataset or not. I would also like to add all the variables from Finrep_sorted for these 43 accounts from Nov_BF. Here is the sample dataset:

Data Finrep_sorted;
infile cards expandtabs;
input ACCOUNT_ID FINREP_CURR_SEGMENT$ FINREP_CURR_SEGMENT_REASON$ SOURCE_SYSTEM_CD$ MONTH;
datalines ;
1000032 PERFORMING MEETREQUIREMENTS AF 202311
1000040 PERFORMING MEETREQUIREMENTS AF 202311
1000278 PERFORMING MEETREQUIREMENTS AF 202311
1000307 PERFORMING MEETREQUIREMENTS AF 202311
5464782 PERFORMINGFORBORNE PROBATIONNOTENDED AF 202311
5320998 NON-PERFORMING CONTAGION AF 202311
;
run;
I want the output data to show all the matching accounts and all the variables from Finrep_sorted. I tried merging them and then find but my code gives an error. Please guide.

Data merged_data;
Merge Nov_BF (In=InNov_BF)
Finrep_sorted (In=InFinrep_sorted);
by ACCOUNT_ID;
If InFinrep_sorted; /* Filter to include only matching account numbers */
run;
Error message:
28         Data merged_data;
29         Merge Nov_BF (In=InNov_BF)
30         Finrep_sorted (In=InFinrep_sorted);
31         by ACCOUNT_ID;
32         If InFinrep_sorted; /* Filter to include only matching account numbers */
33         run;

ERROR: BY variable ACCOUNT_ID is not on input data set WORK.NOV_BF.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
WARNING: The data set WORK.MERGED_DATA may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 6 variables.
WARNING: Data set WORK.MERGED_DATA was not replaced because this step was stopped.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

My rule: when SAS says something is true and the user says something is not true, then I believe SAS. Show us PROC CONTENTS output on the SAS data set WORK.NOV_BF. It also does NOT matter what was in Excel; what matters is what is in SAS.

(In fact, whenever you find yourself in this situation where it appears you don't have a specific variable in that data set, you need to check the PROC CONTENTS output for that data set)

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You get this error, which seems to be very self-explanatory.

ERROR: BY variable ACCOUNT_ID is not on input data set WORK.NOV_BF.

You can't merge by a variable that doesn't exist in one (or both) of the data sets.

--
Paige Miller
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

But the excel file that I imported (Nov_BF) does have Account_ID and from the sample dataset you can see that there is Account_ID in the Finrep_sorted as well. Then why it is showing that there is no account_id?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

My rule: when SAS says something is true and the user says something is not true, then I believe SAS. Show us PROC CONTENTS output on the SAS data set WORK.NOV_BF. It also does NOT matter what was in Excel; what matters is what is in SAS.

(In fact, whenever you find yourself in this situation where it appears you don't have a specific variable in that data set, you need to check the PROC CONTENTS output for that data set)

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation