BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GN0001
Barite | Level 11

Hello team,

I am learning SAS. I have created a library, I can't find where the physical location of the this library/ folder is.

Regards,

GN

Blue Blue
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
The name ECPRG193 is the folder name we used at least 3 years ago. I am not sure how you are still getting that folder name when we no longer have that e-learning class on our system. What you needed to do for your libname statement program was this:
%let path=/folders/myfolders/ecprg193;
libname orion "/folders/myfolders/ecprg193";
or

%let path=/folders/myfolders/ecprg193;
libname orion "&path";

You needed to have the helper macro variable &PATH in place and defined because many of our programs used &PATH in the program.
However, we no longer use the ORION data in our current classes and as far as I know, there are no elearning classes that reference that older data.

So I am concerned that you are following the wrong instructions and taking the wrong class. My suggestion is that you send mail to elearn@sas.com from the email address that you're using for e-learning so they can check how you have access to such an old class and so they can correct the problem and make sure you get access to the most current class.

That older class is not in sync with the newest Certification exam.
Cynthia

PS... If you have a folder in SAS University Edition, left over from taking the Programming 1 course before, please DELETE that folder. Before you email us, please go back into the e-learning course and double check the instructions under #2 as shown below:

Cynthia_sas_0-1594484629072.png

You should be seeing that you have to make a folder name of EPG1V2:

Cynthia_sas_1-1594484705805.png

You CANNOT use the older data with the newer course -- nothing with match up. Please do NOT use any data from an older version of Programming 1.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Reeza
Super User
How did you create the library? Usually that requires a path.

You can always right click, select properties and get the path or do you want a code version to get the path of the library?
GN0001
Barite | Level 11

Hello Reeza,

Thanks for replying!

I am following Little SAS Book which was introduced by you in 2018 or probably in 2019 to learn SAS for job finding.

The books says create a lib. That goes through wizard or shortcuts and no code for now.

I am trying to find out where lib/ file located, I can't find it.

This is what I get when I go to property:

Name:BIKES

Library paths, engines, and LIBNAME options:

/folders/myfolders/sasuser.v94

Engine:V9

In fact, when I go to the folders:

/folders/myfolders/sasuser.v94, there is nothing by Bikes.

Or when I go to: C:\Users\*****\Documents\SASUniversityEdition\MyFolder

Or When I go to: C:\My Folder where I originally selecting the folder deliberately when I was installing SAS.

Respectfully,

GN

Blue Blue
Reeza
Super User
As Cynthia mentioned, working with Studio is different than working with SAS Base so the instructions between the book and SAS Studio are not going to be exactly the same.

In SAS UE all files go through the myfolders and you can/should create libraries through there. You can create additional libraries elsewhere but until you understand exactly how it works, it's best to stick with myfolders for now. You can think of it like working in an Enterprise with a server version of SAS and they've locked you down to one folder to share information from your local drive to the server location.

I would now recommend you take the free SAS programming courses first, because they'll align with the software better. Additionally, they're free and you get a certificate 🙂

Then try this book after you've completed those would be my recommendation.

GN0001
Barite | Level 11

Hello all,

I have done the training. I am reviewing it by following the Little SAS Book. Or, I wouldn't be able to start. I went to each location, I couldn't find the lib bike created on SAS studio.

I created a physical location, I put a data set there and then I want to import to SAS to be able to continue.

Thanks for your help,

GN

Blue Blue
GN0001
Barite | Level 11
Hello Reeza,

Thanks for the response!

Please let me know what the code is.
I have the little SAS Book and SAS Programming 1: Essentials.
I want to cover what I have learned in the e-learning training that I had
in 2018 by using these two books.

Respectfully,
Guity
Blue Blue
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I have not looked at either of those books, but I suspect that for either you will need to adapt the examples to fit YOUR environment.  You cannot literally do exactly what either one says.

If your question is what files and folders you have available to you in your SAS session when using SAS/Studio then use the "Server Files and Folders" area of the interface and look for yourself.  Find the folder you want to use and select properties to see the name for that folder that you need to use in your SAS code.  You can copy the path listed as the LOCATION and use it in your code. (My paths will look different from yours since I am using SAS/Studio with a real Unix machine and not the virtual machine that SAS University Edition uses.)

image.png

To use the path you have found to assign a libref you can either write and run a LIBNAME statement or use the New Library button under the "Libraries" area to do it for you.

image.png

One of you messages mentioned using SASUSER to store files.  I generally prefer NOT to do that since that can cause trouble when working in multi-user environments.  It also might be an issue with SAS University Edition as I am not sure that it points to an area where you can write things. I suspect that instructions that use that libref in their example code do so because they can skip the need to teach you how to create your own libref.  Just adjust the example in the code to reflect the libref that you create.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi: If you are using SAS University Edition in a Virtual Machine (this is what you use if you need to start Virtual Box or VMWare Player) before SAS Studio opens, then your physical operating system location is the location you defined as your Shared Folder location in the last step of setting up SAS University Edition.

For example, on my machine, the physical location of my shared folder location on Windows is:
c:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders
So If I have THIS physical file in my shared folder location, the physical path for the file would be:
c:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\somedata.csv -- However, the path name INSIDE University Edition would NOT use the C: drive location. The path inside University Edition would be:
/folder/myfolders/somedata.csv

Because, the shared folder location is a Unix path location, NOT a Windows path location and /folders/myfolders is the root or "home" path for SAS University Edition shared folders.

On the other hand, if I make a subfolder on the Windows side (or using SAS Studio) and have SAS data in that subfolder, like this:
c:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\mydata\myclass.sas7bdat
c:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\mydata\acct.sas7bdat
c:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\mydata\shoesales.sas7bdat

Then, I would issue a LIBNAME statement like this:
libname mystuff '/folders/myfolders/mydata';

proc print data=mystuff.shoesales;
run;

proc print data=mystuff.myclass;
run;

proc print data=mystuff.acct;
run;

We offer a free Programming 1 course that explains about how to use LIBNAME statements and we have specific instructions for using SAS Studio with SAS University Edition and SAS OnDemand for Academics.

If you are using SAS Enterprise Guide, then you might need to speak with your SAS Administrator for more help. Frequently, Enterprise Guide users are working with server files and you'll need to be sure you have the right physical path for your session of EG. Your SAS Administrator can help you with that.

Cynthia

GN0001
Barite | Level 11

Hello Cynthia,

I am an individual learning SAS. I don't have a SAS administrator. 

I went to physical location, but I couldn't find the lib that I created in SAS Studio.

Thanks for the help and code.

Respectfully,

GN

Blue Blue
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
If you don't have a SAS Administrator, then you're not using SAS Enterprise Guide. So that means this was the completely wrong forum to post in. We have separate forums for SAS Studio and for those new to SAS. Those would be more appropriate locations for questions like this.
Cynthia
GN0001
Barite | Level 11

Hi Cynthia,

This is what I have done my training on:

Essentials e-course. In this course, you'll write SAS programs to
access, manage, and analyze your data, and present the results in reports. You'll read data that resides in
SAS data sets, Microsoft Excel spreadsheets, and raw data files. You'll write programs to create new SAS
data sets, and organize the data sets using SAS libraries. You'll learn techniques for managing data, such
as creating, combining and sorting SAS data sets, and for manipulating data. You'll also learn how to
present your data by creating detail and summary reports. Lastly, you'll learn to analyze your data and
produce frequency and descriptive statistics

Can you please guide me where I need to go?

Regards,

GN

Blue Blue
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Follow these steps:

1 --Go to the Course Overview and Data Setup section of Programming 1

2 -- Find your method of using SAS. Based on a screen shot you posted elsewhere, it looks like you use localhost:10080 to access SAS Studio. That means you are using SAS University Edition

3 -- Open the instructions for YOUR method of using SAS -- for you, that means clicking on the SAS University Edition instructions

4 -- Look in the instructions at the name of the folder you are creating for class. There are 2 possibilities: 1) EPG1V2 or 2) PG194.

5 -- Go here: https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Creating-Data-for-Programming-1-and-Programmi...

6 --  Read the beginning information

7 --  Find the right orange button and click it. There are 2 orange buttons: 1) EPG1V2 or 2) PG194.

8 -- Find the video for your method of using SAS. Watch the video. Reread the instructions. Watch the video again. Now, go back the instructions and follow them, step by step. Do ALL the steps.

9 -- At the end of this, you should have a folder called EPG1V2 (or EPG194)  in your shared folder location and you should be able to see the files that were created AFTER you followed  all the steps in the instructions.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

GN0001
Barite | Level 11
Hi Cynthia,
I went back to the process SAS University Edition - Four-Step Installation Overview:
I created Myfolder and in shared folder in VM, I selected that location.
The links that you sent me is access denied.
I will follow up what the book says, the book created the library with the wizard, instead of going one step ahead and create a library with the code, I will stick with the first approach to see how far I can go.
I went back to my notes, I guess there is a macro that associates the file in the physical location of my machine with the SAS software.

Thanks for all you put here.
Respectfully,
GN

Blue Blue
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
It almost sounds to me like you need to go back to before you started Programming 1 and double check your shared folder location setup. The shared folder location setup is VERY specific. It has to be inside a folder called SASUniversityEdition (no spaces) and under a subfolder called myfolders (no spaces, lower case, 's' on the end). That's the place. These are ALL valid C: drive locations for shared folders:
c:\users\xxxyyy\My Documents\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders
c:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders
c:\Stuff\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders

These are NOT valid shared folder locations:
c:\users\xxxyyy\My Documents\SAS University Edition\myfolders (no spaces)
c:\SASUniversityEdition\myfolder (need an 's' at the end of myfolder)
c:\Stuff\SASUniversityEdition\My Folders (no spaces, lower case myfolders)

The Programming 1 setup will NOT work if your shared folder location is incorrect. So that's the place to start. Absolutely make sure that you have write access to the location where you have the SASUniversityEdition folder and make sure that you created a subfolder called myfolders directly under that main SASUniversityEdition folder. Then, go to your Virtual Box manager and double check the shared folder location. The directions work perfectly if your shared folder location is set up as we expect.

Cynthia
Reeza
Super User
FYI - I tried to move this thread and that separated it. I combined them again and will see if I can move the entire thread to the learning forum.

OP - I would recommend seeing if you can find SAS University Edition specific instructions for the Little SAS Book or taking the Programming 1 course to understand how SAS Studio is structured. The layout is different than SAS Base so some of the instructions between the book and Studio will be different. Your code will work the same, with the major difference being the output is in HTML.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 17 likes
  • 4 in conversation