BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
_maldini_
Barite | Level 11

I have multiple SAS datasets in a folder using SAS University Edition. I can load all of the dataset except for one. I get an error: "File CARDIA.UCSFMEDFEB2013.DATA does not exist."

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 4.30.03 PM.pngI am able to load other datasets in the same folder: 

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 4.32.13 PM.png

There is nothing different about these datasets other than the contents and the size of the files. The dataset that can't be found is actually smaller. 

A friend can load this dataset without problem using a desktop version of SAS.

Any ideas as to how I might be able to resolve this problem?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Make sure the actual file on the disk is using only lowercase letters in its name.

You are probably using UNIX and your friend was using WINDOWS.  The WINDOWS file system is case insensitive.  So FRED.sas7bdat and fred.sas7bdat would be the same physical file.

But on UNIX the file system is case sensitive.  

SAS syntax does not care if you use FRED or fred as the member name.  To make it work it lowercases the name when it goes to the operating system.  So both references in SAS will be looking for an actual operating system file named fred.sas7bdat.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Make sure the actual file on the disk is using only lowercase letters in its name.

You are probably using UNIX and your friend was using WINDOWS.  The WINDOWS file system is case insensitive.  So FRED.sas7bdat and fred.sas7bdat would be the same physical file.

But on UNIX the file system is case sensitive.  

SAS syntax does not care if you use FRED or fred as the member name.  To make it work it lowercases the name when it goes to the operating system.  So both references in SAS will be looking for an actual operating system file named fred.sas7bdat.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation