BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tjz3
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

For the record, I just started using SAS and have no idea what I'm doing. I can't stop getting the error that the physical file does not exist. I'm using windows 10, SAS 9.4 is downloaded locally on the machine and I've even tried downloading SAS on a different device and trying to use it there but it still isn't working. I have tried rewording things to not include any spaces or special characters, that didn't work. I also tried using a diagnostic bit of code to see if SAS even recognizes the files, it did see them actually. I moved the data file location, and even tried a completely different data file as well. Attached is a picture of the code and log that's relevant.  The extension in the folder for the datafile I'm trying to use is .sas7bdat.

Physical file DNE.PNG

Thanks,

Tony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
8 REPLIES 8
andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Please post the full log as text using "insert code" the icon </>.

What happens if you copy the path of the csv-file including filename and paste it into windows explorer?

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

@Kurt_Bremser wrote:

If a file has the .sas7bdat extension, then it is already a SAS dataset. Put it where a libname is defined, and use it. No import needed.

Incredible, how could i have overlooked the last sentence in the original post? I should fall-back to the old rule: start the computer after having a least one cup of coffee.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

What do you actually mean by

"SAS 9.4 is downloaded locally on the machine"

?

Did you download a SAS depot and run the Software Deployment Wizard/Manager to install SAS?

tjz3
Calcite | Level 5

I read somewhere something about SAS being used on a different server or something.  So I thought I would just mention that it was installed on my machine and not being used on some other server.

tjz3
Calcite | Level 5
Could I bug you again? I'm sorry I'm really not sure what I'm doing here. What would the code be to use the dataset then for the program I'm trying to run? The rest of the code is already written I just need to get the data to be used. Thanks.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Say you have a directory C:\users\you\sasdat, and a file called xxx.sas7bdat there. You then define the library with LIBNAME:

libname mydata 'C:\users\you\sasdat';

so you can then use mydata.xxx in statements, e.g.

proc print data=mydata.xxx;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation