BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Wonder94
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello guys,

I'm attending an introductory SAS class. The instructor gave us 3 data sets to use during the class but I was not able to open them. I kept getting the error "ERROR: Tables with 0 columns are not supported by this object. TMP3.data3 cannot be opened. Do you want to select a different table to open?" The other members in the class were able to use them without any problem. I tried using the virtual computing lab, redownloading the data sets, and so forth, with the instructor to no success. Is there any one here who might know what the issue could be? I've attached one of the data sets here in case this helps. 

3 REPLIES 3
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The most common cause of making a dataset with zero variables is that you accidentally run a data step like this that would make such a dataset.

data data3;
run;

So copy the files as instructed again (in case you have messed them up).

THen show the code you ran and the SAS log from that code.

So for example if the instructions say to put the files in a folder named XXXXX then the code you need to look at the datasets should look something like:

libname mylib 'XXXXX';
proc contents data=mylib.data3;
run;
Wonder94
Fluorite | Level 6

I tried writing the data steps with the instructor. Have you tried using the data set I provided?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Show the code you ran.  (and the log)  Your error message mentions DATA3 and the file you attached is named data1.sas7bdat.  So there is an obvious disconnect there already.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation