BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
accintron
Obsidian | Level 7

I am looking for a simple way to exclude one variable (YEAR) from the option of _NUMERIC_ , if possible, since I keep getting the following error: ERROR: Year appears in both CLASS and VAR list.

I have a lot of numeric variables that I want to see the SITE_ID_*_NUMERIC tabulation for, so I want to avoid having to list them all individually. Here is my code:

proc tabulate data=check out=check2b;
class Site_ID_ YEAR;
var  NUMERIC_  ;
table SITE_ID_*_NUMERIC_ /
rts=32;
run;

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User

Can you use a different form of the shortcut list?

For example, use the -- notation instead?

Here is a reference that illustrates how to refer to variables and data sets in a short cut list:
https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2018/05/29/6-easy-ways-to-specify-a-list-of-variables-in-sas.html

Another option may be to use PROC MEANS? It looks like you're examining the distribution/counts of your variables?

accintron
Obsidian | Level 7
I have way too many variables, but I did consider this thank you.
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I think the simplest fix is to define a DATA VIEW that creates a character variable from YEAR, then use the VIEW in the PROC:

data Have / view=Have;
length Year_Char $4;
set check;
Year_Char = put(YEAR, 4.);
drop YEAR;
run;

proc tabulate data=Have out=checkb;
class SITE_ID_ Year_Char;
table SITE_ID_ * _NUMERIC_ / rts=32;
run;
accintron
Obsidian | Level 7
I'm goign to try this right now, but this seems simple enough!
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

The error message you're getting is that YEAR is numeric and you've listed it twice -- once in the CLASS statement, explicitly and once in the VAR statement implicitly with _NUMERIC_. So the issue is that you'd need to make YEAR a character variable, before the TABULATE in order to do what you want. Or else, you could do a query on Dictionary tables to get the names of the variables (without the class items) into a macro variable to use in the VAR statement. _NUMERIC_ is going to include YEAR. And one of the rules of PROC TABULATE is that a variable can only have one role -- CLASS or VAR and your code is making YEAR fall into both roles, which is an ERROR.

Cynthia

ballardw
Super User

You can always use a DATA SET OPTION drop or keep:

proc tabulate data=check (drop= nameofunwantedvar) out=check2b;
class Site_ID_ YEAR;
var NUMERIC_ ;
table SITE_ID_*_NUMERIC_ /
rts=32;
run;

This form of drop means that for the duration of this proc ignore that variable (or variables) or alternatively use only the variables on a KEEP list. I haven't found a procedure this doesn't work with.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation