format bbb yymmdds10.;
	format ccc best12.;
	input
		aaa $
		bbb :yymmdd8.
                ccc
run;

Dear SAS community,

I am currently using SAS Enterprise Guide 8.3. The code above works fine previously but recently I am having the error as below

"ERROR: Permanent copy of file LIBNAME.DATASET.DATA was deleted.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
real time 0.02 seconds
cpu time 0.01 seconds"

Appreciate if you could help to identify the issue that leads to the mentioned error. Thank you very much 🙂

7 REPLIES 7
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Please show us the ENTIRE log for this DATA step, by copying it as text and pasting it into the window that appears when you click on the </> icon. Never show us partial logs for a DATA step.

Insert Log Icon in SAS Communities.png

--
Paige Miller
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I admit that I have never seen this particular error message before. However, when you create INDPATH.POLICYO, you get this in the log

NOTE: 5000 records were read from the infile "C:\SAS\1221\Download\OP_0001.txt".
      The minimum record length was 610.
      The maximum record length was 750.

but when you create INDPATH.POLICYI, nothing similar appears. This leads me to believe that the file named

C:\SAS\1221\Download\IP_0001.txt

either does not exist, or is corrupted, or empty.

--
Paige Miller
AZFXL
Calcite | Level 5

I have tried to close the entire SAS EG and rerun the same program. The issue happen on policyo instead of policyi now. Double checked on the textfiles, both exist and is not corrupted or empty.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, but I am stumped. No idea what is wrong here.

--
Paige Miller
AZFXL
Calcite | Level 5

me too :'( Anyway, thanks for your help 

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hello @AZFXL,

The 2015 thread Cannot Trouble Shoot Error - "permanent copy deleted" and Problem Note 41488 suggest that anti-virus software might remove certain files and should be configured not to do so. I would also try another library on a physically different storage medium (perhaps the WORK library) to find out if the issue is limited to the drive that libref libname points to.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation