BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Bala3
Calcite | Level 5

Hi:

I have an excel file and one of the columns is encrypted (eg:SSN).   I want to decrypt the column and do some manipulations.  What is the way I have to do in SAS.

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Usually decryption isn't possible for the obvious reason that if it were easy / possible why bother encrypting in the first place. Go back to the supplier of the spreadsheet and ask them to re-supply it in non-encrypted form.

Bala3
Calcite | Level 5

The enryption is made to the column for security reasons.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

A better option would be to get the supplier to encrypt the whole spreadsheet file with a password key, send you this, then supply you the encryption key separately and securely. The open source tool PGP is good option for this.

Reeza
Super User

Do you have the encryption algorithm or key? Or some instructions of any kind? Otherwise, trying to decrypt it is basically a hacking exercise. 

@Bala3 wrote:

Hi:

I have an excel file and one of the columns is encrypted (eg:SSN).   I want to decrypt the column and do some manipulations.  What is the way I have to do in SAS.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation