BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
msjkp
Calcite | Level 5

Is it possible to edit a plain text file (i.e., not a SAS program) in SAS Studio? I'm using SAS Studio as my interface to a SAS grid running on Linux. I can certainly create and edit a new text file, but it appears that I can only save it with the .sas extension. I could save it that way and then run a SAS program to change the file suffix (e.g., using an OS command via filename PIPE), but that seems like an overly complex way to go about this. Is it possible to save the file directly some SAS Studio?

2 REPLIES 2
Kalind_Patel
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

You cannot directly save SAS Codes to the txt files,
but as we know, sas files are just text files, you can create cronjob, which runs every time when your folder/files have any change, which copies new sas files to another directory by changing the extension from .sas to .txt.

Reeza
Super User

At this time, SAS Studio does not support edit functionality for text files. You can view them, by right clicking and View as text file. 

If this is a feature you'd like, please add it to the SAS Ballotware here:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/idb-p/sas_ideas

@msjkp wrote:

Is it possible to edit a plain text file (i.e., not a SAS program) in SAS Studio? I'm using SAS Studio as my interface to a SAS grid running on Linux. I can certainly create and edit a new text file, but it appears that I can only save it with the .sas extension. I could save it that way and then run a SAS program to change the file suffix (e.g., using an OS command via filename PIPE), but that seems like an overly complex way to go about this. Is it possible to save the file directly some SAS Studio?

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation