BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
INuha
Calcite | Level 5

Hello all, 

I am a new user of SAS university edition. I face this issue when I run the code.

What I should do? 

Screenshot 2019-03-20 15.40.43.png

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The place where you told SAS to look for the file is a place where the file does not exist, or the place does not exist.

Please show us the entire SAS log as text (not screen capture), pasted into the window that appears when you click on the {i} icon. Do NOT paste the SAS log text directly into the reply window, click on the {i} icon.

--
Paige Miller
INuha
Calcite | Level 5

1          OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
 73         DATA mydata;
 75             INFILE "\\Desktop\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\students.csv"
 77             DELIMITER = ","
 79             MISSOVER DSD
 81             FIRSTOBS=2;
 83             /*LRECL=32767;*/
 87             INPUT Gender Age Weghit   Height      BMI   H_status    Married     Ethnicity      Education   Nutr_Prog   Major
 87       ! Dietery_Recom     Food_groups Heathly_choices      Diet_disease      Fiber_recom
 89         ;
 91         RUN;

ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /opt/sasinside/SASConfig/Lev1/SASApp/\\Desktop\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\students.csv.
 NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
 WARNING: The data set WORK.MYDATA may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 16 variables.
 NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
       real time           0.01 seconds
       cpu time            0.00 seconds

94         OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;

Thank you Paige Miller for reply. you can see log text above. 

jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

This looks like the classic confusion between the server responsible for running the SAS code (a Linux host) and the client running SAS Enterprise Guide (a Windows machine).

Server and client do not share their file as is illustrated by the resulting path name containing both forward and back slahses.

If you want to run your code on a file residing on your PC first bring it to the client. There a several ways: use a file transfer tool like Filezilla, WinSCP or use the EG Import Data task to do this. The latter allows you get your file straight into a table as a bonus.

Hope this helps,

-- Jan.

Armand_B
Calcite | Level 5

@jklaverstijn 

Hello sir

i m a new comer starting SAS just 2 hours ago, well after setting up UniversityEdition on my W7 laptop, i tried to type my first SAS program. I end up with the  "Physical file does not exist" error..I read all what was suggested on SAS community regarding the issue...It did not help...I saw you advising using a FileTransfer tool (like Filezila) could you tell me more...How to handle it ( save all my files in a folder that SASUniversity edition will access with no troubles)

Regards

PS

OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
73 data Demographic;
74 infile "C:\Users\user\VirtualBox VMs\SAS University Edition\F\Mydata.txt";
75 input Gender $ Age Height Weight;
76 run;

ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /opt/sasinside/SASConfig/Lev1/SASApp/C:\Users\user\VirtualBox VMs\SAS University
Edition\F\Mydata.txt.
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.
WARNING: The data set WORK.DEMOGRAPHIC may be incomplete. When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 4 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement a utilisé (Durée totale du traitement) :
real time 0.00 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

77 title "Gender Frequencies";
78 proc freq data=Demographic;
79 tables Gender;
80 run;

NOTE: No observations in data set WORK.DEMOGRAPHIC.
NOTE: PROCEDURE FREQ a utilisé (Durée totale du traitement) :
real time 0.00 seconds
cpu time 0.00 seconds

81 title "Summary Statistics";
82 proc means data=Demographic;
83 var Age Height Weight;
84 run;

NOTE: No observations in data set WORK.DEMOGRAPHIC.
NOTE: PROCEDURE MEANS a utilisé (Durée totale du traitement) :
real time 0.07 seconds
cpu time 0.02 seconds

86 OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;

Reeza
Super User
Solution is exactly the same as above the file has to be in your myfolders that you set up during the installation and then the path should be the following and is likely case sensitive.

infile "/folders/myfolders/Mydata.txt"
Reeza
Super User

SAS UE runs on the virtual machine you installed and doesn't have access to your entire computer and you don't have access to SAS installation. 

To share files between the two OS you need to set up shared drives, which was part of the installation instructions. You called it myfolders. 

To work with files, especially at the beginning, place the files in the myfolders folder and access them using the following path:

/folders/myfolders/myFileName.extension
INuha
Calcite | Level 5

I did this when I installed the SAS UE. I created a UniversityEdition folder/myfolder.

Reeza
Super User

@INuha wrote:

I did this when I installed the SAS UE. I created a UniversityEdition folder/myfolder.

yes, but you didn't use the path correctly. 

You used it as you would see it from the C drive, not how SAS running on the VM see's it. 

It's more like working with a file on AWS or a SAS Server.

Instead of:

"\\Desktop\SASUniversityEdition\myfolders\students.csv"

Use:

"/folders/myfolders/students.csv"

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation