BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sbopster
Calcite | Level 5

ERROR: Expecting page 32646, got page -1 instead.
ERROR: Page validation error while reading XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.DATA.
ERROR: File XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.DATA is damaged. I/O processing did
       not complete.

Can someone explain this error in SAS? I don't know how to fix this. It is a large file but not larger than other files I have worked with.

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

When you have errors, ALWAYS post the code causing them as well otherwise we have no idea what the processes are. A likely cause is you have run out of disk space for the dataset or it has been corrupted in some way.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

This points to a damaged dataset file. The information stored in the first page of the dataset file points to more pages than the file actually contains.

This can happen when you run out of disk space while writing to a dataset, or if some kind of data transfer/copy terminated prematurely.

If the dataset in question was created by an earlier step of the same program, read your log from top down. The most important message (ERROR/WARNING or unexpected NOTE) is always the first one, the last one is least important. Fix the first issue, and all others might already go away also.

If your dataset comes from other code, read that log(s).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation