BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
LEINAARE
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I have a dataset that contains numerous observations for each unique id (i.e. 'orsid').  I am preparing my data to run a program that selects Medicaid claims data specific to family planning.  In order for eligible enrollees who do not have claims data in a given year to be included in the denominator for calculations, I am supposed to retain one observation for that individual, and set the date to January 1 of the year.  

I know that my use of 'first.orsid' in the code below is incorrect, but I am including it to demonstrate the logic that I have been trying to use.  Could anyone help me to devise a strategy for retaining the first observation and changing the date only for individuals who do not have claims records for that year?  If an individual (orsid) has no claims data for the year, then they would have 12 observations for that year (Jan 01 - Dec 01) in the input dataset.  If they do have claims data, they would have many more observations than that.

data claim12b;
    set claim12;
    by orsid;
    if (icd1='' and icd2='' and icd3='' and icd4='' and icd5='')
        and (prc1='' and prc2='' and prc3='')
        and (ndc1='' and ndc2='' and ndc3='' and ndc4='' and ndc5='' and ndc6='')
        then do;
            keep first.orsid;
            date="o1jan2012"d;
        end;
run;

I know this is incorrect in two ways.  First, even if the logic worked, it would read each individual observation, rather than reading all 12 observations for the unique ID and determining if the individual had no claims during the course of 12 months.  Secord, the 'keep first.orsid' statement does not work.

I greatly appreciate any guidance you may offer.

Thank you,

Ted

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
data claim12b;
    set claim12;
    by orsid;
        then do;
            if first.orsid then do;
                date="o1jan2012"d;
                output;
            end;
        end;
    else output;
run;
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
data claim12b;
    set claim12;
    by orsid;
        then do;
            if first.orsid then do;
                date="o1jan2012"d;
                output;
            end;
        end;
    else output;
run;
--
Paige Miller
LEINAARE
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @PaigeMiller,

Thank you for offering a solution to this problem!

Ted

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation