BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
mothra1963
Calcite | Level 5

I am getting a dialog box in my display manager output and log windows whenever I try to clear the text.  I can't find a system option that sets this and when I've randomly enabled this before, closing and reopening SAS has reset it.  This method is not resetting it anymore.  I do not have Save settings on exit enabled in my preferences, so I'm at a loss as to where this option is being saved.

This is driving me a little crazy, so your help is appreciated.

SAS 9.4M4 Windows Server 2012 R2

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Try this:

Make the output window active. Go to the menu TOOLS>Options>Output . See if the "Confirm Window Clears" box is checked. If so, uncheck it and see if that helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

What is happening is that your are sending so much output to either the log or output window you are exceeding the designed limits.

If you do this regularly then perhaps you want to look into PROC PRINTTO to redirect all the output to external text files. You can set this before starting a program that generates lots of output.

Example:

Proc Printto log="c:\path\log.txt"
                    print="C:\path\printoutput.txt"
;
run;

would send LOG to a log.txt file in the stated folder and PRINT sends output intended for the OUTPUT window to the specified file.

Another thing to consider is clearing output periodically if you don't do that.

mothra1963
Calcite | Level 5

Its not the message that you get when the log window fills up, which is why I included the dialog box in my message.  Thanks for trying.

I should have paid more attention to the "board" I was submitting to.  I've used SAS for 30 years. 

ballardw
Super User

@mothra1963 wrote:

Its not the message that you get when the log window fills up, which is why I included the dialog box in my message.  Thanks for trying.

I should have paid more attention to the "board" I was submitting to.  I've used SAS for 30 years. 

I misunderstood the order of things then.

I have never seen that particular box when clearing a window. And I have also worked with SAS off and on for over 30 years.

I'm wondering if it is related to Windows Server, since I have never worked on that OS.

How are you attempting to clear it? Do you use a KEYS assignment, type the clear command into the command box, use mouse and click in the Log/output window and use Edit> Clear All,  click on the menu Edit>clear all, or something else?

mothra1963
Calcite | Level 5

Well it was working just fine until today so I'm pretty sure its not Windows Server specific (and at a prior position I was on this same version of Windows Server and the same version of SAS and never had the problem).  I'm trying various methods of clearing, typing clear in the command box and using edit, clear all.  Both generate the same dialog box.  This also happens in the output window.  

It has to be some sort of setting that I have inadvertently turned on and managed to save somewhere. 

ballardw
Super User

Try this:

Make the output window active. Go to the menu TOOLS>Options>Output . See if the "Confirm Window Clears" box is checked. If so, uncheck it and see if that helps.

mothra1963
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks, I knew it had to be there somewhere.   Glad that the one check box works for both the output and log windows. 

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation