BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jorquec
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, 

Could someone give some help?

I guess this piece of code is not correct to compare data I guess is that they are in different formats.

The fisrt step generates a table with this results 

a.maxmargin_dt = 31JUL2019  and  b.maxmodelmart_d= 355

And macro data generates  ONEDT2 = 1190831 and  month_id = 356

IF (maxmargin_dt >(&ONEDT2.)/100 ) and (maxmodelmart_d <> &month_id.) then export_flag='Y'; else export_flag='N';

This should result in export_flag = N because only  the second  conditions is true  , however it results me as Y , so I guess despite of I had use  (maxmargin_dt >(&ONEDT2.)/100 ) this  converstion it is not working.

Any help will be apprecciate I am not an expert in date and I have to use macro data functions because this is an automatic  routine process.

Kindly regards,

%let today=%sysfunc(today());
%let currdt=%sysfunc(datetime());

data _null_;

date2=intnx("month",&today.,-1,'end');
call symput('ONEDT2',"1"||substr(put(date2,DDMMYYN.),7,2)||substr(put(date2,DDMMYYN.),3,2)||substr(put(date2,DDMMYYN.),1,2));
%put &ONEDT2.;
%put ONEDT2=&ONEDT2.;

month_id = intck('month','01jan1990'd,today());
put month_id=;
call symputx('month_id',month_id);
%put month_id=&month_id.;

run;

/*STEP 1 */
proc sql;
 drop table IRM.TESTPAYG;
quit;

Proc SQL;
connect to teradata 
(user=&teradata_user. password=&teradata_pwd. server = 'edwprod' database = 'nuc_pl_user_view');  
Create  table IRM.TESTPAYG as select * from connection to teradata(

select a.ID,  a.maxmargin_dt, b.maxmodelmart_d from 
(  
  select  
			1 as ID,
 			max(month_end_dt) as maxmargin_dt
from nuc_pl_user_view.pg_margin_stack) as A
left join (
select  
			1 as ID,
			max(month_id) as maxmodelmart_d
 from  Insights_rm.Consumer_Model_Mart) as B
on a.ID = b.ID

);
disconnect from teradata ;
QUIT;

/* STEP 2 */

proc sql;
 drop table IRM.TESTPAYG2;
quit;

DATA IRM.TESTPAYG2;
SET IRM.TESTPAYG;
IF  (maxmargin_dt >(&ONEDT2.)/100 ) and (maxmodelmart_d <> &month_id.) then export_flag='Y'; 

else export_flag='N';

call symputx('export_flag', export_flag);

run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

SAS date values are integers, representing the number of days since January 1, 1960. 

To see what 21792 represents, try this:

%put &=date2;
%put DATE2 = %sysfunc(putn(&date2,date9.));
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@jorquec wrote:

Hi, 

Could someone give some help?

I guess this piece of code is not correct to compare data I guess is that they are in different formats.

The fisrt step generates a table with this results 

a.maxmargin_dt = 31JUL2019  and  b.maxmodelmart_d= 355

And macro data generates  ONEDT2 = 1190831 and  month_id = 356

IF (maxmargin_dt >(&ONEDT2.)/100 ) and (maxmodelmart_d <> &month_id.) then export_flag='Y'; else export_flag='N';

This should result in export_flag = N because only  the second  conditions is true  , however it results me as Y , so I guess despite of I had use  (maxmargin_dt >(&ONEDT2.)/100 ) this  converstion it is not working.

Is maxmargin_dt the text sting 31JUL2019 ??? Or does it contain a numeric value which is formatted to appear as 31JUL2019.

Is it character or numeric. Please look this up and let us know.

--
Paige Miller
jorquec
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, 

The source table which contain this variable show me that

max(month_end_dt) as maxmargin_dt  is a column on a date format.

So I don't understand why the comparison is not working. Could you please give me some help?

ballardw
Super User

@jorquec wrote:

Hi, 

So I don't understand why the comparison is not working. Could you please give me some help?

Comparisons with literal dates require the value to be in quotes with a trailing D to indicate the value is a date:

mydatevariable ge '01Jan2019'd  

for example.

Similarly times are end in t   "12:15:30"t and datetimes in dt   '01Jan2019:12:15:30'dt.

Single or double quotes and upper or lowercase are acceptable.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/Working-with-Dates-and-Times-in-SAS-Tutorial/... has a PDF with much information about dates.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@jorquec wrote:

Hi, 

Be specific. What exact date format?

--
Paige Miller
jorquec
Quartz | Level 8

Sorry the owner table just said to me that it is a DATE , I have check some and it shows me

30/06/2019

31/12/2014

30/05/2015

jorquec
Quartz | Level 8

I have made a print screen and it shows me :

30/06/2019

30/05/2019

31/12/2014

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

And how do you know these are really numbers formatted to look like 30/06/2019? How do you know these are not character strings? Please look at the PROC CONTENTS of the data set IRM.TESTPAYG2 to see if it is numeric or character, and what the exact format is, so that we get exact information, instead of this guessing?

--
Paige Miller
jorquec
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, 

Thanks for your help. Please see attached proc contents with formats.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Some of us (including me) will not or cannot download and open Excel files (or other Microsoft Office documents) because they are a security threat.

Please copy the PROC CONTENTS output as text, and paste it into the window that appears when you click on the {i} icon. This preserves the formatting of the output and makes it much more readable and understandable.

--
Paige Miller
jorquec
Quartz | Level 8

The CONTENTS Procedure Data Set Name IRM.TESTPAYG2 Observations . Member Type DATA Variables 4 Engine TERADATA Indexes 0 Created . Observation Length 0 Last Modified . Deleted Observations 0 Protection Compressed NO Data Set Type Sorted NO Label Data Representation Default Encoding Default Alphabetic List of Variables and Attributes # Variable Type Len Format Informat Label 1 ID Num 8 6 6 ID 4 export_flag Char 1 $1. $1. export_flag 2 maxmargin_dt Num 8 DATE9. DATE9. maxmargin_dt 3 maxmodelmart_d Num 8 12 12 maxmodelmart_d

Hope you can see this way, sorry I didn't know about restriction on  attachments.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
call symput('ONEDT2',"1"||substr(put(date2,DDMMYYN.),7,2)||substr(put(date2,DDMMYYN.),3,2)||substr(put(date2,DDMMYYN.),1,2));

I don't know what this is supposed to do, or why you need the "1" at the beginning of the string, but this does NOT create a SAS date value. Nevertheless, later when you want to compare &ONEDT2 (which is not a SAS date) to a SAS date in this line

IF  (maxmargin_dt >(&ONEDT2.)/100 )

the comparison will fail, this is not a meaningful comparison to compare MAXMARGIN_DT (which is a SAS date) with &ONEDT/100 which is not a SAS date (and why divide by 100?)

If you want to compare the dates, then you need a SAS date value (or the equivalent integer), followed by ">" followed by another SAS date value (or the equivalent integer).

For example, in your DATA _NULL_ step, use this to create a macro variable named &DATE2 based upon the value of data set variable date2. This is a valid SAS date value, because that's how it was created.

call symputx('date2',date2);

Then later in your code, use

IF  (maxmargin_dt > &date2 ) ...

--
Paige Miller
jorquec
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, 

Thanks for your code I am testing but I would like to know if there is a way to see date2 in another format just to check  in put statement, because I can not understand  "21792 "    .

Thanks again.

data _null_;
36 date2=intnx("month",&today.,-1,'end');
37 call symputx('date2',date2);
38 %put date2=&date2.;
date2=21792

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

SAS date values are integers, representing the number of days since January 1, 1960. 

To see what 21792 represents, try this:

%put &=date2;
%put DATE2 = %sysfunc(putn(&date2,date9.));
--
Paige Miller
jorquec
Quartz | Level 8

Hi PaigeMiller

Many thanks for your patience , for your help.  You are absolutely great !!! 

Sorry for my basic knowledge some of code that I share were not written by me so I just received a lot of old stuffs and I am trying to do my best  which is really hard sometimes as a beginner.

Again many many thanks.

Kindly regards.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation