BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
samface
Calcite | Level 5

Hello SAS community,

I need help fixing my code, I am trying to writing a code that evaluates the performance of certains observations in my data over several monthly periods. I created a code that works but a bit tedious. To evaluate a perfomance over 12 months, I manually count 12 periods to find the ending date. As follow:

January - beginning_date=201701 - ending_date=201712

February - beginning_date=201702 - ending_date=201801

etc...

Here's my sample code below:

%beginning_date= 201701;
%ending_date= 201712;

PROC SQL;
	CREATE TABLE PERFORMANCE AS 
		SELECT t1.*,  
			t2.* 
		FROM DATA_X t1
			LEFT JOIN DATA_Y t2 ON(t1.A=t2.B)
				WHERE t2.DATE BETWEEN &beginning_date. AND &ending_date.;
QUIT;

I am now looking for a way to automate the counting process so that I can a performance over a 12, 18, 24 months. I used the code below but I am getting the following error message:

ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: !!,
*, **, +, -, /, AND, ||.

ERROR 76-322: Syntax error, statement will be ignored.

The DATE variable in my table is numeric not sure with values such as year/month 201701, 201702, etc..

Any idea or suggestions, thanks 🙂

%let beginning_date=201701 ; 

*Macro variable date;

DATA _null_;
DATE=&beginning_date.;
CALL SYMPUT("date_begin_perfo12", PUT(INTNX('month',input("&beginning_date.",yymmn6.),0,'end'),Date9.));
CALL SYMPUT("date_end_perfo12", PUT(INTNX('month',input("&beginning_date.",yymmn6.),+12,'end'),Date9.));
RUN;

%put &date_begin_perfo12.;
%put &date_end_perfo12.;

PROC SQL;
	CREATE TABLE PERFORMANCE AS 
		SELECT t1.*,  
			t2.* 
		FROM DATA_X t1
			LEFT JOIN DATA_Y t2 ON(t1.A=t2.B)
				WHERE t2.DATE BETWEEN &date_begin_perfo12. AND &date_end_perfo12.;
QUIT;

2 REPLIES 2
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Try

WHERE t2.DATE BETWEEN "&date_begin_perfo12."d AND "&date_end_perfo12."d;
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You would make your life sooooo much easier if you used actual SAS dates instead of a variable with values like 201701.

You also don't need to format the values before you use them in PROC SQL. Use formats only when a human has to view the results in an understandable form; PROC SQL doesn't care, it can use the actual date values, so there's no point in formatting them to be actual readable dates.

data _null_;
     begin_date=mdy(1,1,2017);
     end_date=intnx('month',begin_date,12,'s')-1;
     /* If you want more than a 12 month interval, replace 12 with the number of months you want */
     call symputx('begin_date',begin_date);
     call symputx('end_date',end_date);
run;

proc sql;
     where t2.date between &begin_date and &end_date;
quit;

Side note: I can't test this right now, but I do not remember if the BETWEEN operator will select the observation if the t2.date value is exactly equal to &begin_date or exactly equal to &end_date. In other words, I don't remember if BETWEEN uses greater than and less than; or greater than or equal to and less than or equal to. But you can test this and modify the code accordingly.

--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation