BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
craigwe85
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I have the current code that goes to a weather website a downloads the data into SAS. The station macro, inputs the corresponding station id into the URL and then pulls the weather for that city. I will be inputting about 100+ cities. Instead of adding each individual station id to the macro below, is there a way to utilize a do loop macro that would go through a list of station id's that i will save as a sas dataset? i will be saving the new data set which will contain Station ID and City and calling it Weather_Stations. 

%macro station (stat=);

filename in url "http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_data/bulk_data_e.html?format=csv&stationID=&stat&Year=2018&Month=10&Day=1&timeframe=2&submit=Download+Data";
filename out "%sysfunc(pathname(work))\data.csv";                                                                                                                 

data _null_;                                                                                                                                                      
  infile in;                                                                                                                                                      
  input;                                                                                                                                                          
  if _n_> 25;                                                                                                                                                     
  file out;                                                                                                                                                       
  put _infile_;                                                                                                                                                   
run;                                                                                                                                                              

PROC IMPORT OUT= WORK.data_&stat                                                                                                                                        
     DATAFILE= "%sysfunc(pathname(work))\data.csv"                                                                                                                
     DBMS=CSV REPLACE;                                                                                                                                            
RUN;
%mend;

%station (stat=52518);/*Sydgary*/
%station (stat=50149);/*Edmonton */
%station (stat=50837);/*Fort St.John*/
%station (stat=48369);/*Kelowananey*/
%station (stat=50620);/*Halifax*/
%station (stat=50309);/*Moncton*/
%station (stat=50068);/*Deer Lake*/
%station (stat=50089);/*St.Johns*/
%station (stat=50621);/*Chartown*/
%station (stat=51157);/*Montreal*/
%station (stat=26892);/*Quebec*/
%station (stat=51459);/*Toronto*/
%station (stat=49568);/*Ottawa */
%station (stat=54604);/*North Bay*/
%station (stat=27174);/*Winnipeg*/
%station (stat=28011);/*Regina*/
%station (stat=47707);/*Saskatoon*/
%station (stat=50430);/*Cal*/
%station (stat=51442);/*Vancouver*/
%station (stat=51337);/*Victoria*/
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, if your city codes are in a SAS data set (and are stored as a character string named CITY_CODE), you can use CALL EXECUTE to call the macro

Something like this

data _null_;
    set have;
    call execute('%station(stat='||city_code||')');
run;

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

You could store you station in a dataset and Call execute

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, if your city codes are in a SAS data set (and are stored as a character string named CITY_CODE), you can use CALL EXECUTE to call the macro

Something like this

data _null_;
    set have;
    call execute('%station(stat='||city_code||')');
run;

--
Paige Miller
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

@PaigeMiller  I am glad my brain is functioning alike you. Hopefully you bless me with your statistical skills and soon I can get good at those well. 🙂

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@novinosrin wrote:

@PaigeMiller  I am glad my brain is functioning alike you. Hopefully you bless me with your statistical skills and soon I can get good at those well. 🙂

I'm sure you will. It just takes time.

--
Paige Miller
craigwe85
Fluorite | Level 6

@PaigeMiller Thanks so much. Saved so much time. Now I can leave work early 🙂

craigwe85
Fluorite | Level 6

Sorry I realize this post is old,

however I am still using this technique and was wondering if it were possible to add more variables to the call execute function?

so I can create unique tables names and add an additional where statement if needed?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Yes.

Just make sure to generate valid SAS code.

Using the CAT... series of functions can help.

%macro mymacro(var1=,var2=,var3=);
%mend;

data _null_;
  set mydata ;
  call execute(cats('%nrstr(%mymacro)','(var1=',var1,',var2=',var2,',var3=',var3,')'));
run;
AMSAS
SAS Super FREQ

Try this example:

/* Set up test data */
/* this would be your dataset containing your station Ids */
data test ;
	do station_id=1000 to 1020 by 3 ;
		output ;
	end ;
run ;

/* Create macro to loop through the station Ids */
/* Pass in the station ID dataset and the variable name containing the station Ids */
%macro loop(inputDataset,stationVar) ;
	%put &inputDataset= &stationVar= ;
	/* 
	Datastep will create multiple macro variables named station_id<n> 
	where <n> is a number 1+, and containing the station Ids
	Create a count of all station Ids
	*/
	data _null_ ;
		set &inputDataset ;
		put _all_ ;

call symput("station_id"!!left(putn(_n_,"10.")),putn(&stationVar,"10.")) ;
		call symput("count",putn(_n_,"10.")) ;
	run ;

/* 
	Loop through all the macro variables printinng their values
	Note you would call your station macro inside this loop 
	*/
	%do i=1 %to &count ;
		%put &count &i &&station_id&i ;

%end ;

%mend ;

%loop(test,station_id) ;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation