BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JereNeal
Fluorite | Level 6

I am using the SAS DI expression editor (v4.901 on Windows 7) to build an expression using a function listed in the drop-down menu.

It inserts the code into the expression window with placeholders for the parameters (so it's not a function name I made up arbitrarily).

When I try to run the code, or validate the expression, I get the following error:

Table Loader

Line 9: ERROR: Function ISNULL could not be located.

isnull(PRC_ABBR, INPUT(PRC_ID,BEST25.))

I also get the same if I use the IF(...) function.

I've searched for similar issues in the Community blog and the ones I found don't seem to apply to this particular situation.

Here is a screenshot of the functions dropdown...

ExpEditor.jpg

Here is an excerpt from the log of the 'Validate Expression' function:

103        data null;
104           set work.W577RVN;
105           where isnull(PRC_ABBR, INPUT(PRC_ID,BEST25.));
ERROR: Function/subroutine ISNULL not found
106        run cancel;

-----------

In case it is significant, the expression I'm trying to enter is in the mapping portion of a table-loader transformation.

The only guess I have is that perhaps the library that contains those functions needs to be linked-to, or referenced in some way???

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Jere

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

As the help text states, this is a SQL Server function.

So you can use it only if you trigger explicit SQL Pass through code to SQL Server.

Not sure what your first argument mean (PRC_ABBR).

In SAS you can use IS NULL or IS NOT NULL syntax, perhaps you can use that for your purpose?

Don't know about the IF function, might be the same.

But in SAS you'll have the IFN() and IFC() function, which probably serves you.

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

As the help text states, this is a SQL Server function.

So you can use it only if you trigger explicit SQL Pass through code to SQL Server.

Not sure what your first argument mean (PRC_ABBR).

In SAS you can use IS NULL or IS NOT NULL syntax, perhaps you can use that for your purpose?

Don't know about the IF function, might be the same.

But in SAS you'll have the IFN() and IFC() function, which probably serves you.

Data never sleeps
JereNeal
Fluorite | Level 6

Linus,

Thank you for your solution.  I don't know why I didn't see the IFC and IFN, but using IFC in combination with IS NULL did the trick.

This is my first venture into the community and I'm impressed.  I hope to be able to provide answers and give back after not too long.

Anyway, Kudos!

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation