BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GS2
Obsidian | Level 7 GS2
Obsidian | Level 7

Using SAS 9.4

I have many records and I am trying to give each record a number starting with 835 and counting up by 1 from there (836, 837, etc.). I have run the following the code:

proc sort data = controls_merged_back;
by ID;
run;
data step12;
set controls_merged_back;
keep record_id group match_key_final match_key_new2 ID Sex dob side scope_date scope_md Date_of_TKA tka_md obs4;
by ID;
if first.ID then record_id = 835;
mrn +1;
if last.ID then output;
run;

The ID variable I have is unique to each so if my thought was to start with the first ID = to  835 and count by 1 from there. However, when I run this code it produces 835 in each record, so I obviously did something wrong. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

That happens because your original data set already contains RECORD_ID with a value of 0 on every observation.  The existing values of 0 throw off the calculations.  You can get rid of it at the last possible moment, in simplified form:

data step12;
    set controls_merged_back (drop=record_id);
    by ID;
    retain record_id 834;
    if first.ID then record_id + 1;
    keep record_id group match_key_final match_key_new2 ID Sex dob side 
        scope_date scope_md Date_of_TKA tka_md obs4;
run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@GS2 wrote:

Using SAS 9.4

I have many records and I am trying to give each record a number starting with 835 and counting up by 1 from there (836, 837, etc.). I have run the following the code:

proc sort data = controls_merged_back;
by ID;
run;
data step12;
keep record_id group match_key_final match_key_new2 ID Sex dob side scope_date scope_md Date_of_TKA tka_md obs4;
by ID;
if first.ID then record_id = 835;
mrn +1;
if last.ID then output;
run;

The ID variable I have is unique to each so if my thought was to start with the first ID = to  835 and count by 1 from there. However, when I run this code it produces 835 in each record, so I obviously did something wrong. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Thank you

You are not incrementing RECORD_ID anywhere. So it's always 835. 

How about this:

data step12;
    by ID;
    if _n_=1 then record_id = 834;
    if last.ID then do;
        record_id+1;
        output;
    end;
run;
--
Paige Miller
GS2
Obsidian | Level 7 GS2
Obsidian | Level 7

That code produces 835 in the first record and 1 in the remaining records. Thank you

Astounding
PROC Star

That happens because your original data set already contains RECORD_ID with a value of 0 on every observation.  The existing values of 0 throw off the calculations.  You can get rid of it at the last possible moment, in simplified form:

data step12;
    set controls_merged_back (drop=record_id);
    by ID;
    retain record_id 834;
    if first.ID then record_id + 1;
run;

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation