BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
EmilyAV
Calcite | Level 5

I have a dataset (generated from proc freq) organized as follows:

data have;
input tickets $ count;
datalines;
0 600
1 278
2 992

;

run;

Two questions:

1) How can I calculate the total number of tickets sold from these output counts?

Total should = 0*600 + 1*278 + 2*992

data want;
length total 8.;
set have;
total = tickets*count;
run;

My current code generates a total by row but not a total for the whole dataset.

2) Is there a way to do these steps iteratively, for multiple different variables (e.g. different concerts) in the same dataset so that the final dataset generated is organized like this?

concert1 total1

concert2 total2

concert3 total3

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Why use PROC FREQ at all, if you want sums?

data original;
	input id concert1 concert2 concert3;
	datalines;
	1 1 1 2
	2 1 2 2
	3 2 0 0
	4 0 2 0
	5 1 2 0
;
run;
proc summary data=original;
    var concert1-concert3;
    output out=_sums_ sum=/autoname;
run;
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

This is a weighted sum. PROC SUMMARY makes this easy

data have;
input tickets count; /* Note: you had tickets as a character variable, I have changed it in this code to numeric */
datalines;
0 600
1 278
2 992
;
proc summary data=have;
    var count;   
    weight tickets;
    output out=total sum=total;
run;

Regarding your question 2, it would certainly help for you to show an example of this data set with "multiple different variables (e.g. different concerts)". I suspect you mean you have another variable (which I will call concert_name) and the same variables count and tickets. In this case, adding class concert_name; into the PROC SUMMARY code will get you the results you want. But really, show us the data set that has multiple concerts.

--
Paige Miller
EmilyAV
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you. 

The original dataset looks like this, with one observation per customer (only the first 5 customers displayed), and the number of tickets they purchased for each of 3 different concerts:

data original;
	datalines;
	1 1 1 2
	2 1 2 2
	3 2 0 0
	4 0 2 0
	5 1 2 0
;
run;

dataset have below was generated using proc freq from the first concert (have 1)...

proc freq data=original;
	table concert1 / nocum nopercent out=have1;
	table concert2 / nocum nopercent out=have2;
	table concert3 / nocum nopercent out=have3;
run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

This is very different data than your original post, where you wanted to multiply the number of tickets times a variable named COUNT, and then sum everything up.

Now, it seems like you do not want to multiply the number of tickets times a count and sum everything up. Now it seems like you want to just get a frequency (PROC FREQ) for each variable named CONCERT1 CONCERT2 CONCERT3 ... am I understanding that properly? Please state clearly: What is the desired output from this new data?

--
Paige Miller
EmilyAV
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry for the confusion.

I put the PROC FREQ lines there to indicate how I generated the first 'have' dataset for a single concert.

The PROC SUMMARY works well to calculate the total number of tickets from a single concert. Is there a way to combine all three total calculations (organized by concert) into a new dataset without running three PROC SUMMARY commands and then manually entering results into a new dataset?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Why use PROC FREQ at all, if you want sums?

data original;
	datalines;
	1 1 1 2
	2 1 2 2
	3 2 0 0
	4 0 2 0
	5 1 2 0
;
run;
proc summary data=original;
    var concert1-concert3;
    output out=_sums_ sum=/autoname;
run;
--
Paige Miller

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation