BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
avbraga
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I am trying to count, by day, how many people are in a hospital, given the fact that I have the patient’s admission date (start_date), discharge date (end_date), and their length of stay.

Visually this is what I am looking for, the cells in yellow populated, so they can then be summarized by day.

calendar.JPG

Programmatically what I was thinking was:

1. have SAS create as many new "month_day" columns based on the min(start_date) and max(discharge_date). Those are represented in the attached picture as columns April_07, April_08, April_09, etc.
  2. in a array/do loop of sorts, have sas look up the month and day of the start_date and of the end_date, and map those to the "month_day" columns with prefixes that match the start and end date.
  3. Put a “1” on those columns so they can later be summarized by day.

I attempted a code that was something like the below, which doesn’t work, because each row will have a different “i” subscript range.

array days(*) april_07-april_20;

do i = begin_day to end_day;

if days(i) = 0 then days(i) = 1;

end;

drop i;

Any way I can do the above programmatically? Any other ways that i am not seeing that can do this task programmatically?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@avbraga wrote:

Hi all,

I am trying to count, by day, how many people are in a hospital, given the fact that I have the patient’s admission date (start_date), discharge date (end_date), and their length of stay.

Visually this is what I am looking for, the cells in yellow populated, so they can then be summarized by day.

calendar.JPG

1. have SAS create as many new "month_day" columns based on the min(start_date) and max(discharge_date). Those are represented in the attached picture as columns April_07, April_08, April_09, etc.
  2. in a array/do loop of sorts, have sas look up the month and day of the start_date and of the end_date, and map those to the "month_day" columns with prefixes that match the start and end date.

I attempted a code that was something like the below, which doesn’t work, because each row will have a different “i” subscript range.

end;

drop i;

Any way I can do the above programmatically? Any other ways that i am not seeing that can do this task programmatically?

Thanks,

Alex

If you are looking to sum things by date across patients then you do NOT want to add that many columns.

Consider:

data example;
   input patientid $ begin_day : date9. end_day :date9.;
   format begin_day end_day date9.;
datalines ;
11111  01Jan2019 14Jan2019
2222   12Jan2019 15Jan2019
333    10Jan2019 12Jan2019
;
run;

data want;
   set example;
   do activedate = begin_day to end_day;
      output;
   end;
   format activedate date9.;
   label activedate = 'Day in hosptital';
run;

/* to get a data set with count of patients per calendar day*/
proc summary data=want nway;
   class activedate;
   output out=work.daycount (drop=_type_);
run;

The output creates one record for each date in the hospital.

If your begin and end dates are currently not SAS date values then that is the first step: make sure you have dates.

If you want to display the data, or a subset, in a wide format then something like:

Proc tabulate data=want;
   class patientid activedate;
   table patientid,
         activedate=' '*n=' '
         /misstext='0'
   ;
run;

Other variables would be carried along in the WANT data set so you could get summaries by any likely grouping you need.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

@avbraga wrote:

Hi all,

calendar.JPG

end;

drop i;

Thanks,

Alex

If you are looking to sum things by date across patients then you do NOT want to add that many columns.

Consider:

data example;
   input patientid $ begin_day : date9. end_day :date9.;
   format begin_day end_day date9.;
datalines ;
11111  01Jan2019 14Jan2019
2222   12Jan2019 15Jan2019
333    10Jan2019 12Jan2019
;
run;

data want;
   set example;
   do activedate = begin_day to end_day;
      output;
   end;
   format activedate date9.;
   label activedate = 'Day in hosptital';
run;

/* to get a data set with count of patients per calendar day*/
proc summary data=want nway;
   class activedate;
   output out=work.daycount (drop=_type_);
run;

The output creates one record for each date in the hospital.

If your begin and end dates are currently not SAS date values then that is the first step: make sure you have dates.

If you want to display the data, or a subset, in a wide format then something like:

Proc tabulate data=want;
   class patientid activedate;
   table patientid,
         activedate=' '*n=' '
         /misstext='0'
   ;
run;

Other variables would be carried along in the WANT data set so you could get summaries by any likely grouping you need.

avbraga
Calcite | Level 5

Hi ballardw,

This is a thing of beauty. Exactly what I needed without the convolution. Simple and elegant.

Thank you so much!

Alex

PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Expand and count:

data stays;
input hosp $ patientID date_begin:date9. date_end:date9.;
datalines;
A 1 20jan2001 15mar2001
A 2 22jan2001 15feb2001
A 3 10jan2001 10mar2001
;

data days;
set stays;
do day = date_begin to date_end;
    output;
    end;
format day yymmdd10.;
keep hosp day;
run;

proc sql;
create table hospPop as
select hosp, day, count(*) as nbPatients
from days
group by hosp, day;
quit;

proc print data=hospPop noobs; run;
PG
avbraga
Calcite | Level 5
Also works, PG. Thank you so much for your input. You guys are great!

Alex

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation