BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
disosa
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am working with three different data sets that have date information currently stored in "numeric" form. I would like to convert the date information in all three of these data sets to a SAS-recognized "date" form, both for conformity among data sets and ease of analysis.

Here is an example of the three numeric date formats among the data sets:

Example.png

My biggest challenge is working with the date format for Dataset 1 in the example. I have tried using input/put functions suggested in other areas of this forum to convert this numeric-type variable to date-type, but SAS seems to be having trouble recognizing this as MMYY format, without DD information.

My overall goal is to have all three data sets have date information in MM/YYYY format.

Please let me know if I can provide any more details, and thank you so much for your assistance.

Diana

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User
Use LENGTHN() to get the length or convert it to a character to find the length and then conditionally process each type based on the length. What would you expect as results from #1 and #3?
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Please provide your interpretation of what those strings of digits mean.

The first one might by MMYY ?  Are any of them in the form MYY (meaning January thru September)?

Looks like 2 is in YYYYMMDD order.

And perhaps 3 is in YYYYMM order?

Do you want to set the ones without day of the month to the first day of the month?  Also for the second one where you DO have a day of the month do you want to also convert it to the first day of month?

data want ;
  set have ;
  select (length(cats(FAKE_DATE)));
    when (3,4) REAL_DATE=input('01'||put(FAKE_DATE,z4.),ddmmyy6.);
    when (8) REAL_DATE=intnx('month',input(put(FAKE_DATE,z8.),yymmdd8.),0,'b');
    when (6) REAL_DATE=input(put(FAKE_DATE,z6.),yymmn6.);
    otherwise do;
       put 'WARNING: Invalid DATE value. ' FAKE_DATE= ;
    end;
  end;
  format REAL_DATE yymm7. ;
run;
unison
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I understand you have several datasets but here's how I'd handle it in each case (assuming the first of the month when there is no day):

data have;
	input dataset $ date;
	datalines;
01 1119
02 20191111
03 201911
;
run;

data want;
	set have;
	format date_new date9.;
	date_str = put(left(date),$8.);

if dataset='01' then date_new=input("01"||date_str,ddmmyy8.);

if dataset='02' then date_new=input(date_str,yymmdd10.);

if dataset='03' then date_new=input(date_str,yymmn6.);
run;

-unison

-unison

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation