BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
adhikra
Calcite | Level 5

Hello.  I am new user to SAS and working on a project to migrate SQL Code to SAS. I have the following SQL Code below that I would like to get some help in converting to SAS:

Chartname is a field that contains the medical chart name.  Here is some sample data for ChartName:

ABCDEFV__3551843_20170526104401_ABC_196180535D_40308712.pdf                                       
ABCDCFVP__3551901_20170531000001_ABC_160346247A_401419457.pdf                                      
ABCDFV___3552215_20170602125701_ABC_172382989A_401566060.pdf

I need to get the data between the last "_"(underscore) and the ".pdf"

For example,

in line 1 I need "40308712                                       
In line 2, I need, "401419457"

In line 3, I need "401566060"

Here is the SQL Code that works below:

select ChartName,Left(right(ChartName, charindex('_', reverse(ChartName) + '_') - 1),CHARINDEX('.',right(ChartName, charindex('_', reverse(ChartName) + '_') - 1))) as ProvID

FROM Table1

Thank you in advance for your help.  Please ask any questions if I have not been clear in my issue,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

You should be able to retrieve ProvID using this expression:

scan(ChartName, -2, '._')

You may need to add to the SELECT statement to assign a length to ProvID.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Astounding
PROC Star

You should be able to retrieve ProvID using this expression:

scan(ChartName, -2, '._')

You may need to add to the SELECT statement to assign a length to ProvID.

adhikra
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you your quick response.  I tried your code and was able to get the right answer.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

Luckily, the SCAN function allows you to break up a text string and extract a piece of the string. By default, SCAN starts at the left side of the string, but with a negative number, you can tell SCAN to start from the right side of the string. That's what this program does (after it makes some fake data to test with).

scan_from_back.png

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

adhikra
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you your response.  Your code will work also.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation