BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Chrystopher
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi community, 

I'm trying to configure my SAS EG server to connect to SAS Visual Analytics server and to Enterprise Miner Server,  I've been reading about use SAS\CONNECT but I can't find the way to do that. 

The 3 servers have SAS\CONNECT, have Windows Server as OS and SAS 9.4.

I would appreciate any information on how to configure these servers.

Regards.

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You use the SIGNON command to create a remote SAS session from your SAS EG session. However, before you try that it would be best to check that the SAS/CONNECT spawner is running on the SAS server you want to connect to. You can do that in SAS Management Console.

If the spawner is running, then you can start to test connections. If you use Windows Authentication in your SAS environment then you are in luck because that works in SAS/CONNECT as well.

%let SASVA = MySASVAServerName 7551; * 7551 is the default CONNECT port;

signon SASVA;

You may have to tweak your SAS networking options, but the above should be a good starting point.

Chrystopher
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi SASKiwi, 

I don't have SAS Viya and in Services a can't find the process called SAS Connect Spawner. It's neccessary to have SAS Viya to make the connection between servers??

Thank you for your help. 

Regards. 

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

May be what @JuanS_OCS writes here can help you. 

Also note what he writes related to: "You will need a SAS Administrator to do this".

Btw: A "SAS EG server" doesn't exist. SAS EG is your client with which you connect to a SAS Server.

Chrystopher
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you Patrick, 

I'm new with this server, but what is the way to do what  @JuanS_OCS  says, I don't know if i need to connect in Metadata Manager or in Server Manager. 

Thanks a lot. 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Thank you @Patrick .

Hi  @Chrystopher . You can use SAS/CONNECT from one SAS session (in a server or in your own local PC), as long as you have SAS/CONNECT licensed and configured. Which is not, in many occasions.

But you can indeed make the connection from SAS EG to the basic services on each server, meaning, their Workspace server.

In this sense, you cannot connect to both servers at the same time, just one server/SAS session at a time (except, of course, if you have the availability of SAS/CONNECT).

In this sense, if you connect from SAS EG to the SAS VA server (by default, sasva_metadata_server.yourcompany.com and port 8561), you will be able to interact with it. And the same goes to the SAS E Miner server (saseminer_metadata_server.yourcompany.com). 

If you need to work with both, I highly recommend to have a shared folder, reachable by both servers and your PC, where you can have the input/output of Miner, and that data you can load into SAS VA for reports or explorations.

Is this of any help?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Chrystopher - I wasn't talking about SAS Viya, only SAS VA and we do exactly what you are trying to do.

If you don't have the SAS/CONNECT spawner running on your VA server, then I suggest you contact SAS Tech Support to explain how you set this up. This is required so you can SIGNON to SAS VA without using a SAS/CONNECT script which is the best way to go. This documentation link should help: https://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=connref&docsetTarget=n1wo5zcbwh860mn1nqdvxgyp09y5.htm&docset...

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation