BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kippy_kips
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I'm analyzing NHANES data and have combined day 1 food intake and day 2 food intake into their own observation rows. Now I want to combine those rows into 1 row that shows days 1 and 2 intakes for each participant. For example:

SEQDR1T_G_WHOLEDR1T_G_REFINEDDR2T_G_WHOLEDR2T_G_REFINED
1                            .8                          1.2
2                        1.0                          2.2  
2                          2.5                             0

How would I combine the 1s so all the cells are filled? I also have thousands of SEQ IDs.

I've tried proc means data= test noprint nway;

class SEQ;

var ...;

output out= sums;

run;

This led to a min max and std showing up as well, is there a way to remove those?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
data want;
update test(obs=0) test;
by seq;
run;

Or:

proc means data= test noprint nway;
class SEQ;
var _numeric_;
output out=summarized sum= ;
run;

I think either of those approaches should work for you. But for NHANES data are there weights you need to factor in?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User
data want;
update test(obs=0) test;
by seq;
run;

Or:

proc means data= test noprint nway;
class SEQ;
var _numeric_;
output out=summarized sum= ;
run;

I think either of those approaches should work for you. But for NHANES data are there weights you need to factor in?

kippy_kips
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you! The first code you sent kept deleting all observations for some reason but the second one worked! I am just interested in the food groups eaten by participants for right now.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That structure looks it would work well as a transaction file for the UPDATE statement.

data want;
  update have(obs=0) have;
  by seq;
run;

For UPDATE to work the ORIGINAL dataset has to have only one observation per BY group (actually a MAX of one per BY group), but the TRANSACTION dataset can have multiple observations and the transactions will be applied in order.  So the result will have the last non-missing value for each variable.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation