BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
raivester
Quartz | Level 8

I am attempting to take the number of days between a start date (January 1, 2019) and an end date (January 1, 2019 + some length of time) and calculate and concatenate the two-digit number of years, months, and days. For example, a time period of 440 days is 1 year, 2 months and 15 days--the resultant number I would expect to get in the "duration" variable would be: 010215. I attempt this by running the following, but the month variable does not convert to character. Any ideas?

data out;
  set in;
  	length duration $6

** create an end date variable to calculate years, days, and months between Jan 1 2019 and end date based on total days;
	date_end = "1JAN2019"d+total_days;

yr    = put(intck('year',"1JAN2019"d,date_end,'c'), z2.);
	mntha = intck('month',intnx('year',"1JAN2019"d,yr,'s'),date_end,'c');
	daya  = date_end - intnx('month',"1JAN2019"d,mnth+yr*12,'s');

*Since I perform this operation below, I had to keep the temp month and day variables
numeric--I will change them to character with leading zeros after. Since I do not use
the year variable here, I converted this to char with leading zeros in the variable's
creation, above.; if daya=30 then do; mntha+1; daya=0; end; mnth = put(mntha, z2.); day = put(daya, z2.); duration=cats(yr,mnth,day); run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
daya = date_end - intnx('month',"1JAN2019"d,mnth+yr*12,'s');

Should that mth be mntha?
Or does that mnth exist in data set already?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User
daya = date_end - intnx('month',"1JAN2019"d,mnth+yr*12,'s');

Should that mth be mntha?
Or does that mnth exist in data set already?
raivester
Quartz | Level 8

OH gosh! That's embarrassing! Thank you for catching that. I guess I have been staring too long--should have walked away and come back. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation