BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi all,

I am using a code where I have used a where statement like  where t1.client_code in ('LBG001','LBG002','LBG003');. I want to write a similar code but the client_code is from LBG004 to LBG042. So I want to know is there any option in SAS to do this or I have to write manually from 004 to 042?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

With your " t1.client_code" I have to assume that you are using this where in Proc SQL. SQL in general is very verbose. So the may not be a way around this. 

There is chance, slim and be extremely careful with this, if all of the values of interest are sequential that you could use

where t1.client_code  between 'LBG001' and 'LBG003'

This will not yield expected results if the length of the values changes  due to the way character values are compared:

data example;
   input code $;
datalines;
LBG001
LBG002
LBG003
LBG004
LBG007
LBG00222
LBG000
LBG00
LB
;

proc sql;
   create table want as
   select *
   from example
   where code between 'LBG001' and 'LBG003'
   ;
quit;

Because the values of the between range have 6 characters the longer LBG00222 stops comparing at the first 2 and is "between" the range limits even though the second 2 would make a person think it doesn't fit. It may be possible to provide other restrictions in the Where, such as "and length(code)=6" but the particulars of each set will make this a potential exercise in making headaches.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

With your " t1.client_code" I have to assume that you are using this where in Proc SQL. SQL in general is very verbose. So the may not be a way around this. 

There is chance, slim and be extremely careful with this, if all of the values of interest are sequential that you could use

where t1.client_code  between 'LBG001' and 'LBG003'

This will not yield expected results if the length of the values changes  due to the way character values are compared:

data example;
   input code $;
datalines;
LBG001
LBG002
LBG003
LBG004
LBG007
LBG00222
LBG000
LBG00
LB
;

proc sql;
   create table want as
   select *
   from example
   where code between 'LBG001' and 'LBG003'
   ;
quit;

Because the values of the between range have 6 characters the longer LBG00222 stops comparing at the first 2 and is "between" the range limits even though the second 2 would make a person think it doesn't fit. It may be possible to provide other restrictions in the Where, such as "and length(code)=6" but the particulars of each set will make this a potential exercise in making headaches.

Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes, it was in sequence and the between statement worked. Thank you!

ballardw
Super User

@Sandeep77 wrote:

Yes, it was in sequence and the between statement worked. Thank you!

I might suggest a test of creating data set of the distinct values of the code and testing on that reduced set just in case. I do not like to consider the number of times I have been given a list of "all the values" only to have others actually appear in the data. Character values especially have issues with mixed case.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation