BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi all,

I have written proc freq data step to get the number of accounts from different bureau source. But I also want to add the collections to those bureau source. Can I add collections also with the bureau source in proc freq data step to get both the information together? This will help me to see the collections value and number of accounts from different sources. I have used the below code to get the number of accounts from different sources: (tx_char_i11 is the header which shows all the sources) Thanks

proc freq data=excel_format_3;
table tx_char_i11 / nocum;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

To summarize data like that use PROC SUMMARY.

proc summary data=HAVE ;
  class tx_char_i11;
  var Total_Payment_Amount ;
  output out=want n=Count sum= ;
run;

If you just want a printout instead of dataset you can add the PRINT option (or use the PROC MEANS alias for the procedure) and list the requested statistics in the PROC statement.

proc means data=HAVE N SUM ;
  class tx_char_i11;
run;

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HarrySnart
SAS Employee

Hi @Sandeep77 

It would help if you gave an example of what you have and what you want to achieve with some dummy data. 

If I've understood your question correctly you want to view the data together you can add the variables to the table statement.

Two examples below:

*View two separate freq tables;
proc freq data=sashelp.class;
table age height / nocum;
run;

*View crosstab freq table;
proc freq data=sashelp.class;
table age * height / nocum;
run;

Hope this helps

Thanks

Harry

Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you Harry, I want the crosstab freq table and I tried doing that way but it says 'Large results were detected' and does not load. Can you suggest a way to resolve this issue?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Sandeep77 wrote:

Thank you Harry, I want the crosstab freq table and I tried doing that way but it says 'Large results were detected' and does not load. Can you suggest a way to resolve this issue?

Show us the actual LOG. I'm guessing that "Large results were detected" is not the actual wording.

How many different levels of these variables (accounts and collections) are there?

--
Paige Miller
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

'Large results were detected' is the exact wording that pops up. There are 2.6M records with 54 variables. I have pasted the log as well. 

1          ;*';*";*/;quit;run;
2          OPTIONS PAGENO=MIN;
3          %LET _CLIENTTASKLABEL='Summary';
4          %LET _CLIENTPROCESSFLOWNAME='Process Flow';
5          %LET _CLIENTPROJECTPATH='S:\Trace\Trace Integrity Analyst Data\BAU_Processes\Reports\ROI Final\Manual ROI V6.egp';
6          %LET _CLIENTPROJECTPATHHOST='LWLT5CG9322XFL';
7          %LET _CLIENTPROJECTNAME='Manual ROI V6.egp';
8          %LET _SASPROGRAMFILE='';
9          %LET _SASPROGRAMFILEHOST='';
11         ODS _ALL_ CLOSE;
12         OPTIONS DEV=SVG;
13         GOPTIONS XPIXELS=0 YPIXELS=0;
14         %macro HTML5AccessibleGraphSupported;
15             %if %_SAS_VERCOMP_FV(9,4,4, 0,0,0) >= 0 %then ACCESSIBLE_GRAPH;
16         %mend;
17         ODS LISTING GPATH=&sasworklocation;
18         FILENAME EGHTML TEMP;
19         ODS HTML5(ID=EGHTML) FILE=EGHTML
20             OPTIONS(BITMAP_MODE='INLINE')
21             %HTML5AccessibleGraphSupported
MPRINT(HTML5ACCESSIBLEGRAPHSUPPORTED):   ACCESSIBLE_GRAPH
22             ENCODING='utf-8'
23             STYLE=HTMLBlue
24             NOGTITLE
25             NOGFOOTNOTE
26             GPATH=&sasworklocation
27         ;
NOTE: Writing HTML5(EGHTML) Body file: EGHTML
29         proc freq data=excel_format_3;
30         table tx_char_i11 * Total_Payment_Amount/ nocum ;
31         run;

NOTE: There were 2689676 observations read from the data set WORK.EXCEL_FORMAT_3.
NOTE: The PROCEDURE FREQ printed pages 1-2049.
NOTE: PROCEDURE FREQ used (Total process time):
      real time           53.42 seconds
      user cpu time       50.17 seconds
      system cpu time     0.84 seconds
      memory              60803.56k
      OS Memory           94460.00k
      Timestamp           01/27/2023 12:39:15 PM
      Step Count                        84  Switch Count  4

34         %LET _CLIENTTASKLABEL=;
35         %LET _CLIENTPROCESSFLOWNAME=;
36         %LET _CLIENTPROJECTPATH=;
37         %LET _CLIENTPROJECTPATHHOST=;
38         %LET _CLIENTPROJECTNAME=;
39         %LET _SASPROGRAMFILE=;
40         %LET _SASPROGRAMFILEHOST=;
42         ;*';*";*/;quit;run;
43         ODS _ALL_ CLOSE;
2                                                          The SAS System                             09:34 Friday, January 27, 2023

46         QUIT; RUN;

Sandeep77_0-1674823375181.png

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

'Large results were detected' is the exact wording that pops up. There are 2.6M records with 54 variables.

Thanks. You didn't answer my other question about how many levels the two variables tx_char_i11 and total_payment_amount have. But the idea of doing a PROC FREQ on total_payment_amount, if I understand what this variable means, is meaningless. FREQ is the wrong procedure. So, let's take a step back and please EXPLAIN the analysis you would like to do here, I'm not asking for SAS code, I want explanation.

--
Paige Miller
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have used proc freq step to get the number of accounts for different bureau source (tx_char_i11) from a previous table. There are 7 different variables in bureau source. Now I want to add another column with these 7 variables to see the collection amount for all these 7 variables. Here is a sample data set:

tx_char_i11

tx_char_i11 Frequency Percent Collection
Frequency Missing = 2231175      
CRA Blend 83999 18.32 Need
Customer Confirmed 4747 1.04 to
Equifax 24915 5.43 add
Exp 319202 69.62 this
 Registry 193 0.04 information
 Call Report 25124 5.48  
 Retriever 321 0.07
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Not making sense. Previously you had total_payment_amount and that doesn't appear in your most recent message.

Let me try this another way. Total_payment_amount is a value such as 29.03. Do you really want a table from PROC FREQ that shows how many times 29.03 appears in the data set, and how many times 29.04 appears, and how many time 29.05 appears, and so on? Explain why you want this. Or maybe you don't want this, you want something else. But please explain what you want. Don't jump to another variable, we are talking about Total_Payment_Amount. 

There are potentially a huge number of values of Total_Payment_Amount and potentially a huge number of values of tx_char_i11, and the resulting table would be huge, so huge that SAS won't display it. Something else might be more meaningful, we could steer you to an analysis that can be displayed by SAS, if only you would explain what you want and why you want it. Please take a step back, and tell us what the goals of this project are.

--
Paige Miller
Sandeep77
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi, Sorry for that, Total_Payment_Amount is what I am referring as collection. I want sas to give me total number of each bureau source (tx_char_i11) and also the total of collections (Total_Payment_Amount ) for each bureau source. I hope that make sense. I don't want the count of any number that x number came so many times but I am looking for the sum of Total_Payment_Amount  for each bureau source. Thanks

ballardw
Super User

@Sandeep77 wrote:

Hi, Sorry for that, Total_Payment_Amount is what I am referring as collection. I want sas to give me total number of each bureau source (tx_char_i11) and also the total of collections (Total_Payment_Amount ) for each bureau source. I hope that make sense. I don't want the count of any number that x number came so many times but I am looking for the sum of Total_Payment_Amount  for each bureau source. Thanks

You really should provide some example data. you are asking about a "bureau source" but have not even given us a NAME of the variable.

If you want to both COUNT and SUM the same variable then Proc Freq is not the tool. It does not do sums.

Maybe:

Proc tabulate data=excel_format_3;
   class bureauvariablename;
   var tx_char_i11; /* that is an ugly variable name*/
   table bureauvariablename ,   
             tx_char_i11*(n   sum)
   ;
run;

Proc Tabulate uses the statistic N to request the count of non-missing values, Sum to total them. The variables to be be "totaled" if that means sum or other summary statistic have to be on the VAR statement. Variables used for groups go on CLASS statements.

That comma is a critical piece of the code in tabulate as it separates, in this case, row and column . A third level can create separate tables.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

To summarize data like that use PROC SUMMARY.

proc summary data=HAVE ;
  class tx_char_i11;
  output out=want n=Count sum= ;
run;

If you just want a printout instead of dataset you can add the PRINT option (or use the PROC MEANS alias for the procedure) and list the requested statistics in the PROC statement.

proc means data=HAVE N SUM ;
  class tx_char_i11;
run;
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@Sandeep77 wrote:

PROC FREQ does not provide sums. As pointed out by @Tom , you need PROC MEANS or PROC SUMMARY.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation