BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
alepage
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

Here's an example of the SQL code I am dealing with. (The variable name has been changed for security purpose)

CREATE TABLE "test"
   ( "var1" NUMBER(12,0) NOT NULL ENABLE,
 "var2" NUMBER(2,0) NOT NULL ENABLE,
 "var3" NUMBER(10,0),  
 "var4" NUMBER(3,0),  
 "var5" NUMBER(15,2),
 "var6" NUMBER(15,2),
 "var7" NUMBER(15,2),
 );

I have consulted the following page:  http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/sqlproc/63043/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n0v236a0ti4nmen1mm...

as I have understood from my reading, I have transformed  this code into SAS code as below:

Proc Sql;

CREATE TABLE test

( var1 numeric format = 12.0  not null,

var2 numeric format =2.0  NOT NULL,

var3 numeric format =10.0,

var4 numeric format =3.0,

var5 numeric format =15.2,

var6 numeric format =15.2,

var7 numeric format =15.2

);

Quit;

Is it the similar SAS format or close to the SQL format?

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

By default, SAS numeric variables have a length of 8 (bytes).  There usually is not a reason to change that unless you have some strict requirements for storage.

For precision in reporting and for classification in analytics, you can use SAS formats to control display precision.  Read this article about the difference between length and format in SAS.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
"Close" is a matter of opinion. But they are mot the same.
While databases use this to specifiy precision in storage, SAS formats only specify the default display. Precision in is only managed by the column length.
Also the numbers in the format have slightly different meaning. The first number covers the full length of the displayed value, including any signs, separators and decimals.
Data never sleeps
alepage
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

Regarding the column length, if a numerical variable allowed only two digits, what will be the column length?

if the numerical variable permits 10 digits, what will be the column length?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

By default, SAS numeric variables have a length of 8 (bytes).  There usually is not a reason to change that unless you have some strict requirements for storage.

For precision in reporting and for classification in analytics, you can use SAS formats to control display precision.  Read this article about the difference between length and format in SAS.

SAS Hackathon registration is open! Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation