BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
rush_milo
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi experts,

To start, I'm currently on SAS EG 7.15 HF8. I need to access a path in a server which requires my credentials. I have the user ID and password but am not able to access the path running the below code:

libname uat '/sas/dev/path' user=xxx password="xxx"; 

May I know what did I do wrongly? Just to supplement with more information:

a) My user ID doesn't follow SAS rules in which the whole ID is in numeric format (i.e. 123456)

b) My password does follow SAS rules; first character is an alphabetic character (i.e. Abc123)

Let me know if you need more info. Appreciate your kind help on the above. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

When you have problems with code, post the whole log of the step, using the {i} button.

To access a remote path (one that is not already mounted on the SAS server), you need a remote engine.

A libname without a special engine does not support the user= and password= options.

Most server systems do not allow usernames to start with a digit, because some system commands accept both the login name or the underlying numeric id as input, and leading digits would confuse them.

Please state exactly what your situation is (involved operating systems, server names, path names).

rush_milo
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks KurtBremser for replying. Yes, forgot to add that I have the server IP address as well. 

Before this, I would use Base SAS and run the code below in which I will be prompted for my user id and password. There will be no issue despite the username starting with a digit.

Sample Code using Base SAS:

%let unix = 10.0.0.0;
filename rlink 'C:\Users\Documents\My SAS Files\tcpunix.scr';
options comamid=tcp remote=unix;
signon;

However, since my Base SAS license is already expired, I have to resort to using SAS EG and running the above code in SAS EG gives me the error below:-

Error in SAS EG:

25 GOPTIONS ACCESSIBLE;
26 %let unix = 10.0.0.0;
27 filename rlink "C:\Users\Documents\My SAS Files\tcpunix.scr";
28 options comamid=tcp remote=unix;
29 signon;
NOTE: Remote signon to UNIX commencing (SAS Release 9.04.01M3P062415).
ERROR: Error opening script file.
ERROR: Physical file does not exist, /prd/sasconfig/compute/Lev1/SASApp/C:\Users\Documents\My SAS Files\tcpunix.scr.
ERROR: Script file interpretation terminated due to error.
ERROR: Remote signon to UNIX canceled.

Believe it's due to the issue highlighted in red right? May I know what's the workaround to this error using SAS EG?

rush_milo
Obsidian | Level 7
Apologies, forgot to use the {i} button. Noted on this function, will use it moving forward. Thanks!
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

So up until now, you used SAS/CONNECT to connect from a local SAS session on your desktop to a remote SAS session running on a UNIX server.

Could it be that the UNIX server in question is the same to which you connect from Enterprise Guide? Then you could use the path from your old code in a very simple local libname statement:

libname uat '/sas/dev/path';

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation