BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
pratikshya1
Calcite | Level 5

hey there,

I am a new sas user. I am not familiar with its procedure. I am trying to do a rank-ordered logistic regression for my analysis. For this, I have seven different fish species and each individual assigns their preference in the form of Likert scale 1 least preferred to 5 highly preferred. Each fish got different ranks and fish ranking is my dependent variable and several other variables such as demographics, fishing behavior, etc. as independent variables. For this how can I rank all the seven fish species depending on the values they get from various individuals? 

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User

You probably should include a small example of your data.

When I see this part of your description:

fish ranking is my dependent variable

my first thought is that maybe your data may not be structured as needed, depending on the actual type of research question(s) you are attempting to answer.

Which brings up a second point: just what are the questions? Any difference of ranking across fish, by demographics? Actual amount of difference in ranking by fish species and demographic(s)?

pratikshya1
Calcite | Level 5
I am trying to see how the angler's demographics influence the rank preference given to seven different types of fish.
For example,
Individual 1: Fish 1: 4 (rank), Fish 2: 5, Fish 3: 5, Fish 4: 2, Fish 5: 3, Fish 6: 4, Fish 7:1
Individual 2: Fish 1: 3, Fish 2: 1, Fish 3: 4, Fish 4: 2, Fish 5: 4, Fish 6: 5, Fish 7:3
Reeza
Super User
That's not a lot of observations given that you have 7 different types of fish. I'm assuming it's just a sample?

I would highly recommend working through this example first and then seeing if you want rank order logit regression.
https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.4&docsetId=statug&docsetTarget=statu...
pratikshya1
Calcite | Level 5

I have 2000 observations!

pratikshya1
Calcite | Level 5
I did as it is done in the example but it is not happening.
Reeza
Super User
What does that mean? I have no idea what you tried or what didn't happen or what that even means to you.
Please provide more details if you need further help.
pratikshya1
Calcite | Level 5

I have seven different fish species and each individual assigns their preference in the form of Likert scale 1 least preferred to 5 highly preferred. I have one column for fish rank, one column for species, and various columns for other variables. I want to apply rank-ordered logistic regression and also to know which fish is ranked as top fish and likewise for all other fish species. I have 2000 observations. Since I am a novice sas user, I want to know the procedure for this rank order logit model. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation