BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
赵家钧
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm learing how to master sas enterprise guide with the help of the sas official course SAS® Programming 1: Essentials. But, in one course activity, I find the temporary library created by me can be conducted but can't be opened and read directly (using proc print and contents is available still) . I'm feeeeeeeel very puzzled, coming here for professional help. I'm wondering if there is a mistake with my software or my software settings?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
In that example in Programing 1, you are using the LIBNAME engine for Excel files to explore the Excel workbook. If you are using the Enterprise Guide instructions, you should have used &PATH.

If you followed the directions for making the data for class, you should have created an EG project with an AUTOEXEC Process Flow. The way the Enterprise Guide instructions work in Programming 1 is that you run the AUTOEXEC to make the data files EVERY time you open the project.

We make the files for Programming 1, by default, in your WORK folder, every time you open the project. And we make a helper macro variable, &PATH, that stores the location of your WORK library. In the solution to that Activity, you are instructed to use &PATH.

np_info_activity.png

Did you follow the directions to make an AUTOEXEC folder in your EG project? Or did you change the data creation program? Frequently, EG users cannot read from files stored on their local computer. This is why the Course Overview instructions for EG make the data in WORK every time you open the project that you set up in the data creation step.

Cynthia

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Please show us the code (and the corresponding log) that does not work as intended. See my footnotes for hinst on posting code, logs and data.

赵家钧
Fluorite | Level 6
libname NP xlsx "D:\SAS Learning Windowing\EPG194\data\np_info.xlsx";
options validvarname=v7;

Above is my code. I run it. And the 'NP' Library is created successfully and can be used in further programs, but I can't open and read the contents directly by simply doulbe-click.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
In that example in Programing 1, you are using the LIBNAME engine for Excel files to explore the Excel workbook. If you are using the Enterprise Guide instructions, you should have used &PATH.

If you followed the directions for making the data for class, you should have created an EG project with an AUTOEXEC Process Flow. The way the Enterprise Guide instructions work in Programming 1 is that you run the AUTOEXEC to make the data files EVERY time you open the project.

We make the files for Programming 1, by default, in your WORK folder, every time you open the project. And we make a helper macro variable, &PATH, that stores the location of your WORK library. In the solution to that Activity, you are instructed to use &PATH.

np_info_activity.png

Did you follow the directions to make an AUTOEXEC folder in your EG project? Or did you change the data creation program? Frequently, EG users cannot read from files stored on their local computer. This is why the Course Overview instructions for EG make the data in WORK every time you open the project that you set up in the data creation step.

Cynthia

赵家钧
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you very much!It occurred to me that I just forgot that Excel files cannot be opened in SAS when I review the whole videos. Still thanks a lot!

赵家钧
Fluorite | Level 6
After I double click,the software goes out of control and a circle keep going. I just lose control of the software except shuting it down violently.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation