BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PierreYvesILY
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

I wrote the following code to calculate ratios with data included in a Dataset called 'CABU'. Many values in CABU are empty or 0.

The problem: the following code doesn't work properly at least when both variables (n and d) are empty ; the result I get is a void instead of a value = 0.

How should I handle this?

Thank you in advance

PY

data CABU_array;

set CABU;

array n ABL_Anzahl_Akt               ABL_Anzahl_Gen                       ABL_mit_DEROU       

MTB_NGV                    MTB_RSV_Anz                          ABL_Anzahl_Gen_Online

MTB_Anzahl                      MTB_Anzahl_Online                    MTB_Anzahl_RKR      

ABL_Anzahl_Gruen           MTB_Vertriebserfolg                  AAb_Volumen

ABL_Anzahl_Gen_Verm        MTB_NGV_Online                       /* MTB_NGV_Verm */           

MTB_RSV_Anz_Online         /* MTB_RSV_Anz_Verm */;

array d ABL_Anzahl_vzk               ABL_Anzahl_Akt                       ABL_Anzahl_Akt      

MTB_Anzahl                      MTB_Anzahl                                ABL_Anzahl_Akt_Online

ABL_Anzahl_Gen             ABL_Anzahl_Gen_Online                ABL_Anzahl_VZK      

ABL_Anzahl_Gen             ABL_Anzahl_VZK                       AAb_Anzahl

ABL_Anzahl_Akt_Verm        MTB_Anzahl_Online                    /* MTB_Anzahl_Verm */        

MTB_Anzahl_Online          /* MTB_Anzahl_Verm */;

array r ABL_vzk_Ratio                ABL_Gen_Quote                        ABL_DEROU_Quote          

MTB_TICKET_AVG             RSV_QUOTE                            ABL_Gen_Quote_Online

MTB_AuszahlumtbQ           MTB_AuszahlumtbQ_Online         MTB_Anzahl_VZK      

ABL_GRUEN_Quote            MTB_VOL_je_VZK                       AAb_TktGR

ABL_Gen_Quote_Verm         MTB_TICKET_AVG_Onl                   /* MTB_TICKET_AVG_Verm */   

RSV_QUOTE_Onl              /* RSV_QUOTE_Verm */;

do   i=1 to dim(n) ;

if missing(n[i]) and not missing(d[i]) then do;

n[i] = 0;

r[i] = 0;

end;

if missing(d[i]) and not missing(n[i]) then do;

d[i] = 0;

r[i] = 1;

end;

if missing(d[i]) and missing(n[i]) then do;

n[i] = 0;

d[i] = 0;

r[i] = 0;

end;

else do;

r[i] = n[i]/d[i];

end;

end;

format abl: mtb: AAb: commax17.4;

run;

proc sort data=cabu_array (drop=i); by stufe marktregion_bt nlbez_bt mbrbez_bt jahr monat; run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Check if both values are zero and set the result to zero per force. 0/0 is undefined by mathematical convention, so SAS is right here (https://brilliant.org/wiki/what-is-0-0/).

And SAS will always return a missing value when a division by zero is detected, because SAS has no value for infinite.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Check if both values are zero and set the result to zero per force. 0/0 is undefined by mathematical convention, so SAS is right here (https://brilliant.org/wiki/what-is-0-0/).

And SAS will always return a missing value when a division by zero is detected, because SAS has no value for infinite.

PierreYvesILY
Pyrite | Level 9

Actually, the code I wrote to do this doesn't work: when both values n and d are 0, the result is still void, instead of beeng set to 0.

The code used is the following:

data CABU_array;

set CABU;

array n ABL_Anzahl_Akt               ABL_Anzahl_Gen                       ABL_mit_DEROU       

MTB_NGV                    MTB_RSV_Anz                          ABL_Anzahl_Gen_Online

MTB_Anzahl                      MTB_Anzahl_Online                    MTB_Anzahl_RKR      

ABL_Anzahl_Gruen           MTB_Vertriebserfolg                  AAb_Volumen

ABL_Anzahl_Gen_Verm        MTB_NGV_Online                       /* MTB_NGV_Verm */           

MTB_RSV_Anz_Online         /* MTB_RSV_Anz_Verm */;

array d ABL_Anzahl_vzk               ABL_Anzahl_Akt                       ABL_Anzahl_Akt      

MTB_Anzahl                      MTB_Anzahl                                ABL_Anzahl_Akt_Online

ABL_Anzahl_Gen             ABL_Anzahl_Gen_Online                ABL_Anzahl_VZK      

ABL_Anzahl_Gen             ABL_Anzahl_VZK                       AAb_Anzahl

ABL_Anzahl_Akt_Verm        MTB_Anzahl_Online                    /* MTB_Anzahl_Verm */        

MTB_Anzahl_Online          /* MTB_Anzahl_Verm */;

array r ABL_vzk_Ratio                ABL_Gen_Quote                        ABL_DEROU_Quote          

MTB_TICKET_AVG             RSV_QUOTE                            ABL_Gen_Quote_Online

MTB_AuszahlumtbQ           MTB_AuszahlumtbQ_Online         MTB_Anzahl_VZK      

ABL_GRUEN_Quote            MTB_VOL_je_VZK                       AAb_TktGR

ABL_Gen_Quote_Verm         MTB_TICKET_AVG_Onl                   /* MTB_TICKET_AVG_Verm */   

RSV_QUOTE_Onl              /* RSV_QUOTE_Verm */;

do i=1 to dim(n) ;

if missing(n[i]) and not missing(d[i]) then do;

n[i] = 0;

r[i] = 0;

end;

if missing(d[i]) and not missing(n[i]) then do;

d[i] = 0;

r[i] = 1;

end;

n[i] = 0;

d[i] = 0;

r[i] = 0;

end;

if d[i] = 0 and n[i] = 0 then do;

r[i] = 0;

end;

if d[i] = 0 and n[i] ne 0 then do;

r[i] = 1;

end;

if d[i] ne 0 and n[i] = 0 then do;

r[i] = -1;

end;

else do;

r[i] = (n[i]-d[i])/d[i];

end;

end;

format orb: ngs: commax17.2;

run;

how can I handle this?

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

That's what this code does:

if d[i] ne 0 and n[i] = 0 then do;
  r[i] = -1;
end;
else do;
  r[i] = (n[i]-d[i])/d[i];
end;

When both are zero, the calculation is performed and returns a missing value. I guess you want a chain of

if .... then ....
else if ..... then ...
else if ..... then ....
else ....
PierreYvesILY
Pyrite | Level 9

Yes, than would be a good answer, but I don't know how to write it properly.

In addition, what's wrong in the following code:

n[i] = 0;

d[i] = 0;

r[i] = 0;

end;

if d[i] = 0 and n[i] = 0 then do;

r[i] = 0;

end;

why is this code not working?

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

In general it is zeros in the DENOMINATOR that cause trouble with division.

So just test that one.  Your test is not finding the cases with non-zero numerators that still have zero denominators.

Try this much simpler version:

d[i]=coalesce(d[i]),0);
n[i]=coalesce(n[i]),0);

if d[i]=0 then r[i]=0;
else r[i]=n[i]/d[i];

You can also use the DIVIDE() function. It will return a number of different types of missing values, check the documentation. But you can use COALESCE() to convert them all to zero if you want.

d[i]=coalesce(d[i]),0);
n[i]=coalesce(n[i]),0);
r[i]=coalesce(divide(n[i],d[i]),0);
PierreYvesILY
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks a lot for your response.

I got inspired by your script and finally wrote the following, because I need some particular results:

- if n(i) = 0 and d(i) = 0, the results r(i) is 0

- if n(i) = 0 and d(i) <> 0, the result is -1 (say: -100%)

- if n(i) <> 0 and d(i) = 0, the result is 1 (say: +100%)

- if both n and d are <> 0, the result is (n(i)-d(i))/d(i)

So, my final scrip - which works, is the following:

do i=1 to dim(n) ;

d[i]=coalesce(d[i],0);

n[i]=coalesce(n[i],0);

r[i] = (n[i]-d[i])/d[i];

if n[i] = 0 then r[i] = coalesce(r[i],0);

else r[i] = coalesce(r[i],1);

end;

Thanks a lot, I didn't know the coalesce Function, and your suggestion helped a LOT.

regards,

PY

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Note that your problem description can be converted directly into an IF/THEN/ELSE/IF... decision tree.

if n=0 and d=0 then r=0;
else if n=0 then r=-1;
else if d=0 then r=1;
else r=(n-d)/d;

NOTE: That I eliminated the array index to make it easier to type and read. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Mastering the WHERE Clause in PROC SQL

SAS' Charu Shankar shares her PROC SQL expertise by showing you how to master the WHERE clause using real winter weather data.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation