BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Santha
Pyrite | Level 9

Rob

Here is my code that I followed from SPARSE modeling for MILP. I have 9 facilities to choose from. I have 1,056 customers. I want the CUSTOMER_FACILITIES to be the place where I can set my radius. Also, I want to be able to limit the number of facilities to "p" that i set initially.  I have a constraint (con Have_This_Many_FAC_OPEN) for that purpose . Is that correct? Right now I have this commented. When I ran my model with distance <=10,000 the model ran. However, i do see that each customer is assigned to all 9 different facilities, which means that the constraint "assign_def" is not set up correctly and/OR the CUSTOMER_FACILITIES is not set up right. If I reduce my radius to 800 for example because technically any customer can be served from a facility within 800 miles within continental US. But it results in in feasibility. Not sure what I am doing wrong. The SiteCapacity for all facility is set to be a very big number so that right now there is no in feasibility because of this. I can change sitecapacity later.

%let p=4; /*Set how many Facilities you want to be OPENED*/
proc optmodel; set DIMS=1..2; set CUSTOMERS; set FACILITIES; num a {CUSTOMERS,DIMS}; num demand {CUSTOMERS}; num f {FACILITIES,DIMS}; num SiteCapacity {FACILITIES}; read data STDOPT.COGcustomers into CUSTOMERS= [_N_] {d in DIMS} <a[_N_,d]=col('a'||d)> demand; read data STDOPT.cogExistingFacilities into FACILITIES= [_N_] {d in DIMS} <f[_N_,d]=col('f'||d)> SiteCapacity; /* distance from customer i to facility j */ num dist {i in CUSTOMERS, j in FACILITIES} = GEODIST(a[i,1],a[i,2],f[j,1],f[j,2]); set CUSTOMERS_FACILITIES = {i in CUSTOMERS, j in FACILITIES: dist[i,j] <= 10000}; var Assign {CUSTOMERS_FACILITIES} binary; var Build {FACILITIES} binary; min Cost = sum {<i,j> in CUSTOMERS_FACILITIES} dist[i,j] * Assign[i,j]; /* each customer assigned to exactly one site */ con assign_def {i in CUSTOMERS}: sum {<(i),j> in CUSTOMERS_FACILITIES} Assign[i,j] = 1; /* if customer i assigned to site j, then facility must be built at j */ con link {<i,j> in CUSTOMERS_FACILITIES}: Assign[i,j] <= Build[j]; /* each site can handle at most Site Capacity demand */ con capacity {j in FACILITIES}: sum {<i,(j)> in CUSTOMERS_FACILITIES} demand[i] * Assign[i,j] <= SiteCapacity[j] * Build[j]; **con Have_This_Many_FAC_OPEN: Sum{j in FACILITIES} Build[j]=p;
solve with milp/timetype=real;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

Note that GEODIST defaults to kilometers.  If you want miles, include 'M' as a fifth argument.

When I run with distance threshold 10000, I get one facility per customer, as expected from the assign_def constraints.

When I run with distance threshold 800, I get infeasible, as you did.  These notes in the log indicate several customers that are not within 800 miles of any facility:

NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[478]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[486]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[488]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[489]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[490]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[491]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[492]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[902]' is empty and infeasible.

The minimum feasible threshold turns out to be 926.21776127 miles, the distance from customer 492 to facility 6.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

Yes, the commented constraint is correct, except that you need &p instead of p unless you also declare p as a num:

num p = &p;

I don't immediately see anything wrong with the rest of the code, so maybe something is wrong with the data.  Please provide the input data sets so that I can run this myself to investigate further.

Santha
Pyrite | Level 9

ok thanks rob. updated the variable p. here is my data set in csv format.

two files (COGCUSTOMERS) and COGEXISTINGFACILITIES.

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

Note that GEODIST defaults to kilometers.  If you want miles, include 'M' as a fifth argument.

When I run with distance threshold 10000, I get one facility per customer, as expected from the assign_def constraints.

When I run with distance threshold 800, I get infeasible, as you did.  These notes in the log indicate several customers that are not within 800 miles of any facility:

NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[478]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[486]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[488]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[489]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[490]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[491]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[492]' is empty and infeasible.
NOTE: The constraint 'assign_def[902]' is empty and infeasible.

The minimum feasible threshold turns out to be 926.21776127 miles, the distance from customer 492 to facility 6.

Santha
Pyrite | Level 9

Rob. 

Ok. I missed the "m" as fifth argument. ran the model for 1000 miles . But if u look at the attached output ( filter for any one customer, i see 9 possibile (all 9) facilities as options. Should i print for which one is the winner by displaying the winner facility using Assign variable? 

Santha
Pyrite | Level 9

When i printed the assign variable I do see that one customer is assigned to only one facility. so that is what you mentioned.

Let me see if p number of facilites are open as well

Santha
Pyrite | Level 9

I tested the number of facilities and it worked as well. All good. Just two questions on outputs

1) i want to see only those customer-facility pairs where the assign variable is 1.  I tried this below by throwing a filter of Build = 1 but it did not work.

create data STDOPT.COG_Output(where=(Build=1)) from [i j]={i in CUSTOMERS,j in FACILITIES} 
      Cust_Lat=a[i,1] Cust_Lon=a[i,2] Fac_Lat=f[j,1] Fac_Lon=f[j,2] Distance=dist[i,j]
Assign SiteState=SiteState[i];

2) How do I display the Sitename of the facility (the actual name) instead of the Sitenumber. like "Charleston" as opposed to number 9. 

Santha
Pyrite | Level 9

oops. sorry. I got it. I got the wrong variable in my create data step . When i changed to Assign, it worked 

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

Comparison of Assign = 1 is dangerous because of numerical tolerances.  It is safer to do Assign > 0.5 like this:

create data STDOPT.COG_Output(where=(Assign>0.5)) from [i j]={i in CUSTOMERS,j in FACILITIES} 

or this:

create data STDOPT.COG_Output from [i j]={i in CUSTOMERS,j in FACILITIES: Assign[i,j].sol > 0.5} 

If you want to include SiteName in the output, first declare and read it:

str SiteName {FACILITIES};
read data STDOPT.cogExistingFacilities into FACILITIES=
   [_N_] {d in DIMS} <f[_N_,d]=col('f'||d)> SiteCapacity SiteName;

Then add it to the CREATE DATA statement:

create data STDOPT.COG_Output from [i j]={i in CUSTOMERS,j in FACILITIES: Assign[i,j].sol > 0.5} 
   Cust_Lat=a[i,1] Cust_Lon=a[i,2] Fac_Lat=f[j,1] Fac_Lon=f[j,2] Distance=dist[i,j]
   Assign SiteName=SiteName[j];

Note the [j] index because SiteName depends on j only and not on both i and j.

Santha
Pyrite | Level 9

Rob

Thank you. that makes total sense. All questions are answered perfectly. Thank you again

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation