BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
atulsingh
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello everyone,

I need a help. I am trying to run an optmodel procedure but i am having SAS university edition which doeesn't supports SAS optmodel, i think. I have to run the below code for the dataset attached. Can anyone help me out?

proc optmodel;
var hp, cyl ,mpg;
min price = -8864.63 - 0.14398hp +1150.71mpg + 1215.28cyl;
con -0.00997 - 0.1005mpg + 0.3351cyl - 0.0148hp + 0.000081price = 1;
solve;
print hp cyl mpg;
quit;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi,

It is possible that your professor intended for you to get SAS, SAS/STAT and SAS/OR through your University’s license and not through SAS University Edition. The bottom line is that SAS/OR is not available in SAS University Edition. So you might want to verify with your professor where (what system) he intended for you to use to run the program.

However, if you sign up for a free SAS OnDemand for Academics independent learner account, you do have access to SAS/OR on the OnDemand server. The difference between using  SAS University Edition in a Virtual Machine and using SAS OnDemand for Academics account is that you need to be connected to the Internet to connect to the OnDemand server in your browser. You will still use SAS Studio, so that piece is the same. And, finally, with the OnDemand server, a student cannot read data from his/her local C: drive or shared folder location. Instead, you will need to upload your files (such as your CSV file) to your server folder in order to run code that uses the data. I did not see a PROC IMPORT step to read the CSV file, so you might also need to ask your professor about that step. You would need to check in the doc whether PROC OPTMODEL will directly use a CSV file.

I really suggest that you speak with your professor first, however. It is possible that your University provides a way for you to download SAS, SAS/STAT and SAS/OR to your local machine – every university with an Educational SAS license arranges access for students differently so we don’t know what method your university uses. But SAS OnDemand for Academics is always an option for you. Here’s the information: http://support.sas.com/software/products/ondemand-academics/#s1=2 follow the independent learners steps to register, set up an account and log onto the control center.

cynthia

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You need SAS OR licensed to use that procedure, a search on these forums reveals an already asked question:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Mathematical-Optimization/proc-optmodel/td-p/135259

atulsingh
Obsidian | Level 7

I don't have licensed SAS software. If possible, can you please run the above code for me and attach the screenshot. It's urgent..

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

That is against the terms of the license.  Please refer to your SAS sales rep to license the software you need to use.

Ksharp
Super User

Better post it at OR forum. @RobPratt might run it for you .

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi,

It is possible that your professor intended for you to get SAS, SAS/STAT and SAS/OR through your University’s license and not through SAS University Edition. The bottom line is that SAS/OR is not available in SAS University Edition. So you might want to verify with your professor where (what system) he intended for you to use to run the program.

However, if you sign up for a free SAS OnDemand for Academics independent learner account, you do have access to SAS/OR on the OnDemand server. The difference between using  SAS University Edition in a Virtual Machine and using SAS OnDemand for Academics account is that you need to be connected to the Internet to connect to the OnDemand server in your browser. You will still use SAS Studio, so that piece is the same. And, finally, with the OnDemand server, a student cannot read data from his/her local C: drive or shared folder location. Instead, you will need to upload your files (such as your CSV file) to your server folder in order to run code that uses the data. I did not see a PROC IMPORT step to read the CSV file, so you might also need to ask your professor about that step. You would need to check in the doc whether PROC OPTMODEL will directly use a CSV file.

I really suggest that you speak with your professor first, however. It is possible that your University provides a way for you to download SAS, SAS/STAT and SAS/OR to your local machine – every university with an Educational SAS license arranges access for students differently so we don’t know what method your university uses. But SAS OnDemand for Academics is always an option for you. Here’s the information: http://support.sas.com/software/products/ondemand-academics/#s1=2 follow the independent learners steps to register, set up an account and log onto the control center.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation