BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
spichal
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I would like to ask about one problem I need to solve. I had found codes for fitting logarithmic spiral and circle with measured data (R. Wicklin). Later I tried to compare these models with my own measured data (short arcs). In some cases,  the plots of spiral and a circle (or ellipse) fitted very similar. By reading the programmes for spiral and a circle I realized that the codes optimize data in a different way. I would like to know if there is a way I could choose the best fitting model (according to the value of the objective function, radius or something else).

Thanks

Ludek

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The simplest measure would be a statistic that uses the residuals. Either sum-of-squared errors (SSQ) or mean squared error (MSE) could be used. The difficulty, I think, is that the residuals ought to be computed in the direction orthogonal to the curve. For fitting a circle, this means that the residuals are in the radial direction. For ellipses and spirals, the definitions for the residuals are in the comments. 

A more complex statistic would be an adjusted R-squared statistics, which includes a "penalty term" for fitting more complex models. A circle has two parameters, an ellipse has four parameters,  and the spiral has four. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ksharp
Super User

Calling @Rick_SAS

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

The simplest measure would be a statistic that uses the residuals. Either sum-of-squared errors (SSQ) or mean squared error (MSE) could be used. The difficulty, I think, is that the residuals ought to be computed in the direction orthogonal to the curve. For fitting a circle, this means that the residuals are in the radial direction. For ellipses and spirals, the definitions for the residuals are in the comments. 

A more complex statistic would be an adjusted R-squared statistics, which includes a "penalty term" for fitting more complex models. A circle has two parameters, an ellipse has four parameters,  and the spiral has four. 

spichal
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your really helpful advice.

Ludek

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation