BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Santha
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Rob

I am trying to solve this problem. I have a set of Origins (O), set of destinations (D). I have two set of products (called p1 and p2).  In between these origins and destinations, Between the origin and destinations, I have 3 modes of transport possible (Air, Ocean and Truck). In Air, I have two service levels STD/EXP. In truck I have 2DAY/5DAY/7DAY. In Ocean, I have Slow/Fast. All these modes and service levels from O and D comes with a cost and we want to chose minimal cost of routing a shipment. The constraints that I have is for any give product, I can only choose one of the mode (either Air, Ocean or Truck). But I have the liberty to choose any service level for a given mode. For example, for product p1, for a shipment 1, if the model deems Air as the optimal mode, for some shipments for p1 product, I can chose STD and I can chose EXP for some other shipments for p1.  The input that we have is Shipments (shipment numbers 1 to 100) from O to D. Each shipment has its own weight.  We want to find , for a given shipment, what is the minimal cost way to ship . Of course, there are other constraints like if we are using STD for example, the shipment weight has to be at least 50 kgs.  If it is 7 DAY then it needs to be at least 100 Kgs.  The trouble I am having is I don't know how to select only 1 out of 3 modes for all shipments, yet can have the model allocate among many service levels for a given mode . Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

For simplicity, I will demonstrate for only one O-D pair and omit those indices.  Suppose binary decision variable IsProductShipmentModeLevel[p,s,m,sl] indicates whether product p and shipment s use mode m with service level sl and binary decision variable IsProductMode[p,m] indicates whether product p uses mode m.  Then impose the following constraints:

con OneModeLevel {p in PRODUCTS, s in SHIPMENTS}:
      sum {<m,sl> in MODE_LEVEL} IsProductShipmentModeLevel[p,s,m,sl] = 1;

con ModeLevelImpliesMode {p in PRODUCTS, s in SHIPMENTS, m in MODES}:
      sum {<(m),sl> in MODE_LEVEL} IsProductShipmentModeLevel[p,s,m,sl] <= IsProductMode[p,m];

con OneMode {p in PRODUCTS}:
      sum {m in MODES} IsProductMode[p,m] = 1;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

For simplicity, I will demonstrate for only one O-D pair and omit those indices.  Suppose binary decision variable IsProductShipmentModeLevel[p,s,m,sl] indicates whether product p and shipment s use mode m with service level sl and binary decision variable IsProductMode[p,m] indicates whether product p uses mode m.  Then impose the following constraints:

con OneModeLevel {p in PRODUCTS, s in SHIPMENTS}:
      sum {<m,sl> in MODE_LEVEL} IsProductShipmentModeLevel[p,s,m,sl] = 1;

con ModeLevelImpliesMode {p in PRODUCTS, s in SHIPMENTS, m in MODES}:
      sum {<(m),sl> in MODE_LEVEL} IsProductShipmentModeLevel[p,s,m,sl] <= IsProductMode[p,m];

con OneMode {p in PRODUCTS}:
      sum {m in MODES} IsProductMode[p,m] = 1;
Santha
Pyrite | Level 9

thank you rob. 

I think I got it/  The MODE_Level that one is that a cartesian join of all modes and service levels possible?

thanks a lot again

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

Not a Cartesian product, but a union of Cartesian products:

proc optmodel;
   set MODE_LEVEL = (/Air/ cross /STD EXP/) union (/Truck/ cross /'2DAY' '5DAY' '7DAY'/) union (/Ocean/ cross /Slow Fast/);
   put MODE_LEVEL=;
quit;
MODE_LEVEL={<'Air','STD'>,<'Air','EXP'>,<'Truck','2DAY'>,<'Truck','5DAY'>,<'Truck','7DAY'>,<'Ocean','Slow'>,<'Ocean','Fast'>}
Santha
Pyrite | Level 9

wow this is awesome. i never knew this syntax.

thank you for everything. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation