BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
C_Golen
Obsidian | Level 7

Is there any way to do Operational Research Application (Especially Nonlinear optimization problem)on SAS Enterprise Miner 15.x?

Thanks in Advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello @C_Golen ,

I do not think so.

I think the Rigorous Constrained Optimized Binning for Credit Scoring is a a mixed-integer nonlinear programming (MINLP) formulation, but for the formulation of your own nonlinear optimization problem(s) you need SAS/OR (Operations Research) or SAS/IML (Interactive Matrix Language).

SAS/OR PROC OPTMODEL has a super-friendly AML (Algebraic Modeling Language) to specify your mathematical program.

Enterprise Miner is not really an option.

Kind regards,

Koen

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello @C_Golen ,

I do not think so.

I think the Rigorous Constrained Optimized Binning for Credit Scoring is a a mixed-integer nonlinear programming (MINLP) formulation, but for the formulation of your own nonlinear optimization problem(s) you need SAS/OR (Operations Research) or SAS/IML (Interactive Matrix Language).

SAS/OR PROC OPTMODEL has a super-friendly AML (Algebraic Modeling Language) to specify your mathematical program.

Enterprise Miner is not really an option.

Kind regards,

Koen

C_Golen
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @sbxkoenk ,

I was thinking the same way. But I wanted to be sure. 

Sorry for late replying. 

Thanks Again!

C_Golen
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi @sbxkoenk 
I have an extra question due to your answer. Is there any way to add binary variable to MILP? In my situation i have to add a variable about whether weather is rainy or sunny.

Thanks in Advance agian

sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello @C_Golen ,

You can definitely add binary variables to your MILP.
For sure just one, 20 or 50 binary variables may be challenging!

Taken from :

SAS/OR® 15.1 User’s Guide
Mathematical Programming -- The Mixed Integer Linear Programming Solver

(2018)

https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/or/151/milpsolver.pdf

[Extract]

It is important to realize that mixed integer linear programs are nondeterministic polynomial-time hard
(NP-hard). Roughly speaking, this means that the effort required to solve a mixed integer linear program
grows exponentially with the size of the problem. For example, a problem with 10 binary variables can
generate in the worst case 2**10 = 1,024 nodes in the branch-and-bound tree. A problem with 20 binary
variables can generate in the worst case 2**20 = 1,048,576 nodes in the branch-and-bound tree. Although it is
unlikely that the branch-and-bound algorithm has to generate every single possible node, the need to explore
even a small fraction of the potential number of nodes for a large problem can be resource-intensive.

Look in this document for 'binary' or 'binary variable' and you will find some example code where binary variables are part of the problem formulation.

Good luck,

Koen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation