BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sametunver
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello everyone,

I have an OR model where I am trying to minimize the cost. I solved this model without any problem using Excel solver. I also solved the same model in SAS EG using the optmodel procedure with different algorithms. But the results I get on both platforms are different and those in Optmodel are unacceptably higher.

I'm sure my model's constraints, variables, and target function are correct. Therefore, how should I proceed so that I can reach the result I obtained in Excel?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

When I run your code with SAS/OR 15.2, I get the following:

NOTE: Optimal.
NOTE: Objective = 1152546.48.

Your objective is nonconvex minimization, so I recommend using the MULTISTART option to avoid getting stuck in a local minimum:

solve with nlp / multistart;

The resulting objective value matches the previous value, but you can see that multiple local optima were found:

NOTE: The Multistart algorithm generated 4800 sample points.
NOTE: 2 distinct local optima were found.
NOTE: The best objective value found by local solver = 1152546.4807.
NOTE: The solution found by local solver with objective = 1152546.4807 was returned.

Also, the large upper bounds of 999999999 are not recommended.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ
Can you please share your data and code?
sametunver
Fluorite | Level 6

I am sharing it in the attachment of the message.

sametunver
Fluorite | Level 6

For example, when I solve the above problem using Excel GRG, I get the result 1152758, while in the optmodel this value is 1167858. There is a difference of approximately 15100 units and this is far outside my tolerance.

RobPratt
SAS Super FREQ

When I run your code with SAS/OR 15.2, I get the following:

NOTE: Optimal.
NOTE: Objective = 1152546.48.

Your objective is nonconvex minimization, so I recommend using the MULTISTART option to avoid getting stuck in a local minimum:

solve with nlp / multistart;

The resulting objective value matches the previous value, but you can see that multiple local optima were found:

NOTE: The Multistart algorithm generated 4800 sample points.
NOTE: 2 distinct local optima were found.
NOTE: The best objective value found by local solver = 1152546.4807.
NOTE: The solution found by local solver with objective = 1152546.4807 was returned.

Also, the large upper bounds of 999999999 are not recommended.

sametunver
Fluorite | Level 6

Firstly, thank you. I am currently using SAS/OR version 15.1. However, I have reached the result 1152546.4807, which you also found, by increasing the 'opttol' value from the Solver options.

solve with nlp / opttol = 0.000000000001;

Thanks again.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Multiple Linear Regression in SAS

Learn how to run multiple linear regression models with and without interactions, presented by SAS user Alex Chaplin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation