BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JamesPower4
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a large number of SAS datasets that I would like to view (and possibly edit) using Microsoft Access. I can easily see/import Access tables into SAS, but I want to go the "other" way - view the SAS dataset contents while in Access. Screen shots of my SAS ODBC configuration are below. Within Access I select

External data -> New data source -> From other sources -> ODBC database

Using the wizard I select that I want to link to a SAS dataset that has an index defined. I select the SAS ODBC name (BSR) from the list of machine data sources.

At that point Access invariably crashes.

I have previously been able to see the list of datasets in the SAS BSR folder/library, and select one that has an index. I can't seem to reproduce that, but nonetheless  get I always got an error when I try to open it in Access.

Has anyone had success with this, or can identify what i might be doing wrong?

Using 64 bit Windows 10, 64 bit SAS, and 64 bit Access.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Power

ODBC screenshot 1.PNGODBC screenshot 2.PNGODBC screenshot 3.PNGODBC screenshot 4.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Have you chosen the 64-bit SAS ODBC driver? What happens if you select a non-indexed SAS dataset? Try starting SAS manually from a command line with your Local Options as a test.

JamesPower4
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi SASKiwi:

Thanks for the quick response. I believe I'm using the correct (64 bit) driver. I opened it using the 64 bit ODBC Administrator, although I think the supplied driver supports both 32 and 64 bit. It lists the platform as 32/64 bit.

I did try to connect with a non-indexed SAS dataset, and Access crashed. I also tried starting the server from the command line, and again Access crashed. Those were both great suggestions, and I appreciate your help

Thanks again

Jim Power

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@JamesPower4  - Appreciate your kind words. I suggest SAS Tech Support is your best option. The problem is there have been a lot of different versions of Access over the years and the same with SAS so figuring out what works with what is a bit of a minefield.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation