BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DavidsM
Calcite | Level 5

Hello our esteemed advisers and community,

I am seeking assistance about plotting graph for large data sets. I have very big data set with over 100,000,000 observations but I have tried plotting these calibration graphs and SAS returns an error of maximum observations exceeded. I tried using the option of changing maximum observations so that I can plot but still I cannot draw beyond 2,000,000 observations.

I will be glad to be advised on how to handle this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

I would not like to download DOC file from website due to virus.

Check PROC KDE's documentation. Maybe you could find an option you need.

" if possible place a line at 45 angle to indicate the straight line for a perfect calibration so that it clearly shows the devaition from the line. "

I would suggest save the output as a dataset and plot it with PROC SGPLOT + LINEPARM statement.

ods trace on;

proc kde......

ods trace off;

could give you the NAME of output. and save it as a dataset like:

ods output xxxxxx=xxxxxxx;

proc kde..............

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

With that many observations, you should probably use a HEATMAP instead of a SCATTER plot. Compare the output from these two outputs:

proc sgplot data=sashelp.heart;
heatmap x=weight y=height;
run;

proc sgplot data=sashelp.heart;
scatter x=weight y=height;
run;

The HEATMAP statement will process the data in a way that will greatly reduce the actual number of observations processed by the rendering code.

Hope this helps!

Dan

Ksharp
Super User

Or check  PROC KDE + BIVAR statement.

DavidsM
Calcite | Level 5

Hello my advisors,

The Heat map and scatter also return the same messages of exceeded 2000000 observations. I have tried PROC KDE + BIVAR statement and I says out of memory but the procedure had started running.

This out of memory problem has also prevented Heat map approach. 

I will be glad for additional advise.

Ksharp
Super User

Could you make your SAS session has more memory by options -memsize 0 

proc kde data=octane;
bivar Rater Customer / plots=CONTOUR;
run;

or use OUT= save the dataset and plot it later.

ods select none;
proc kde data=octane;
bivar Rater Customer / out=want;
run;
ods select all;
DavidsM
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Ksharp for the assistance.

The procedure below works and I have been able to draw one of the graphs from a large dataset. 

proc kde data=octane; bivar Rater Customer / plots=CONTOUR; run;

There is one more assitance am requesting you to help me.  The graph produced has a black back ground and I would like to change the back ground to other colors like white and make the plotted points clear. And also if possible place a line at 45 angle to indicate the straight line for a perfect calibration so that it clearly shows the devaition from the line. 

I have attached the output graph on this reply, I request you to check it and advise me on how to improve its appearance. 

I will be glad if am assisted to make it look better. 

Ksharp
Super User

I would not like to download DOC file from website due to virus.

Check PROC KDE's documentation. Maybe you could find an option you need.

" if possible place a line at 45 angle to indicate the straight line for a perfect calibration so that it clearly shows the devaition from the line. "

I would suggest save the output as a dataset and plot it with PROC SGPLOT + LINEPARM statement.

ods trace on;

proc kde......

ods trace off;

could give you the NAME of output. and save it as a dataset like:

ods output xxxxxx=xxxxxxx;

proc kde..............

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

Although this one has been solved, I wanted to mention another solution.

You could use SAS/Graph Proc Gplot - it doesn't seem to have a limit to the number of observations plotted.

For example, I created a random dataset with 100,000,000 observations, and used semi-transparents points as my plot marker, and came up with the following plot.

I ran this on a Linux machine, and lifted the default SAS memory size limit by starting the SAS session with "sas -memsize 0 &" ... and it took, umm, "quite a while" to run ...  cpu time 3:55:37.78 (but it did run!)

data my_data (keep = x y);
seed1=12345;
seed2=98765;
do count=1 to 100000000;
call rannor(seed1,x);
call rannor(seed2,y);
output;
end;
run;

symbol1 value=point interpol=none color=A00000033;
proc gplot data=my_data;
plot y*x=1;
run;

plot_100000000.png

Jay54
Meteorite | Level 14

Just to see what is going on, I ran Robert's data with SGPLOT, using some options to allow larger data (maxobs=100000000).

The SCATTER plot still did not finish due to lack of Java memory. 

However, the HEATMAP did run with default SAS startup settings and the graph completed in 02:20:63 of real time on a Windows box.  The HeatMap is a better visual, as you can actually see the distribution of the data instead of a big black blob. :-).  Binning is done on the server, and only the resulting bins are sent to the Java renderer for drawing.  I used 320x240 bins as there is no point in creating bins < a pixel.  This gives 2x2 pixel bins.  Image attached.

data my_data (keep = x y);
seed1=12345;
seed2=98765;
do count=1 to 100000000;
call rannor(seed1,x);
call rannor(seed2,y);
output;
end;
run;

ods html close;
ods listing gpath='C:\temp';
ods graphics / maxobs=100000000 NXYBINSMAX=80000 imagename='BigData';
proc sgplot data=my_data;
heatmap x=x y=y / nxbins=320 nybins=240 colormodel=(green yellow red);
run;

BigData.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation