BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Nathan1993
Calcite | Level 5
Hi,

I’ve recently moved to a new company who are using SAS EG 8.3 (previously used a V7).

Plots when running tasks (i.e. Distribution Analysis & asking for histograms) don’t seem to be working. I moved the code into my own SAS programme to see if I’d have any luck typing it out myself, something as simple as the below:

Proc univariate data = test;
Var = variable1;
Histogram;
run;

Here variable 1 is a simple numeric value between 0 & 1 and test contains around 100 rows. However I’m left with no results and errors in the log.

The errors appearing are:

GOPTIONS htext=1 cells;
ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.

The same error under SYMBOL and PATTERN lines. I also have a warning of Style HTMLblue not found (if that means anything?).

I played around with some settings and in tools>options>graphs selected suppress graph option statements in generated codes. This stopped the errors appearing in the log but the proc univariate still doesn’t run.

I’m doing nothing different to when I used to used EG v7 and the data is a simple dataset with a numeric variable so I’m a bit perplexed and wondering if the version I’m using can’t display any graphics.

Any thoughts on this.

Let me know if you need any more details as appreciate above is quite general (sorry!).

Thanks,
Nathan
3 REPLIES 3
DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

On the surface, this looks like a possible licensing issue with the SAS/Graph product. I would follow up with Technical Support to be sure.

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I agree with @DanH_sas . Check your product license/install with:

proc product_status; run;

And see if SAS/GRAPH is detected.

You can create histograms with PROC UNIVARIATE and other SAS procedures using ODS GRAPHICS, and that does not require SAS/GRAPH.

ods graphics on;
Var variable1;
Histogram;
run;
Check out SAS Innovate on-demand content! Watch the main stage sessions, keynotes, and over 20 technical breakout sessions!
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Here is the correct syntax for your program:

Var variable1;
Histogram;
run;

Note you don't use equals signs in the VAR statement. Now run this program and check your SAS log. Is it error-free? Check for any output. If you are getting text output but not graphic output it is possible that your ODS settings are not correct. Try adding this to your program:

ods HTML;
Var variable1;
Histogram;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation