BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mhudec24
Calcite | Level 5

Im creating a heat map in SAS using proc sgplot to provide a visual for the % gain/loss within several deparments within different divisions. However, I am running into a problem with the y-scale. Being a percentage, I would ideally want positive numbers to be green, negative numbers be red, and neutral numbers be white. I have this color scale set properly, but the scale has .03 as the median instead of 0. Therefore, I am getting positive numbers (.01 and .02) to be red, while they should be green. Is there a way to adjust the Y scale and make 0 white, any positive number green, and any negative number red? I've tried using the ybinstart=-.05, but it is not changing my scale at all. I have attached a picture of the current scale that is incorrect. I appreciate your help. 

3 REPLIES 3
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I would call this the "Z scale" rather than the Y scale. What you want is a symmetric red-white-green color ramp that is centered on 0.

There are two ways to handle this situation. Range attribute maps appeared in 9.4M3. You can define a range attribute map for a symmetric data range. See

GTL overview: https://blogs.sas.com/content/graphicallyspeaking/2013/04/14/attributes-map-3-range-attribute-map/

SGPLOT usage: https://blogs.sas.com/content/graphicallyspeaking/2017/06/26/advanced-ods-graphics-range-attribute-m...

Your data map might look like this 

ID    ColorModel1 ColorModel2 Min   Max

myID  red         white       -0.07 0

myID  white       green        0    0.07

The simpler way (and the way I'd suggest if you don't have a recent version of SAS) is to prepend "fake data" to your data set. See

https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2016/02/17/include-and-order-categories-in-legends.html

In this case, if your variables are X, Y, and Z, you can prepend the following data

X Y  Z

. . -0.07

. .  0.07

This "data" will force PROC SGPLOT to think that the range of Z is [-0.07, 0.07], but the missing values in X and Y prevent the procedure from including those observations in the graph.

mhudec24
Calcite | Level 5

Perfect! Thank you. I also had another question. I was interested in changing the size of the boxes dependant upon a variable. The larger the number, the larger the box, and vice versa. Is there a way to do this?

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

I think the HEATMAP and HEATMAPPARMS statements provide for a uniform grid of X-Y values. However, you might look into using a bubble plot instead of a heat map. The bubble plot is designed to have the marker sizes that vary according to the value of some response. If you use a bubble plot, you might have to bin the data yourself. For examples, see "counting observations in two-dimensional bins" and "Designing a quantile bin plot."  For bubble plot basics, see "Getting started with a bubble plot."

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation