BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
NNguy
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'm plotting US and some CA datapoints using SGMAP with ESRI background map.  ESRI map has cities and state labels and I want to make the cities and states text font larger and to thicken the states borders.

My code:

ods graphics /
width=16in height=14in;

proc sgmap
plotdata=Info_us ;
esrimap url="http://services.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/World_Street_Map";
scatter x=long y=lat / markerattrs=(symbol=circlefilled size=4pt color='blue') ;
run;
quit;

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

When using the Esri (or Openstreetmap) maps in the background, you cannot control the thickness of the borders/roads/etc, or the size of the text (city names, etc). These are all images handed down from the Esri (or Openstreetmap) server.

DanH_sas
SAS Super FREQ

As @GraphGuy said, you can't do anything about the tile information; but if you want thicker state borders, you can overlay a CHOROMAP of the US without any response variable, which should give you thicker outlines of the states.

Hope this helps!

Dan

NNguy
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Robert.

What would you recommend if I do if I want to recreate that map? 

I would like map with interstate system, state and territory borders.  Maybe Alber projection.

Should I import my data in ArcGIS and map it in with ArcGIS? Or should I get US and Canada shapefiles and map with SAS?

Thanks!

GraphGuy
Meteorite | Level 14

Do you have an example of what you'd like the final map to look like?

NNguy
Calcite | Level 5
Ideally this map but with legible city and state names and thicker border around states.

I would like to show US interstate HW, which is why i'm using ESRI World_Street_Map as a background, the topology is a nice touch too. They data points are Trauma Centers that are in my program and in the near future I would like to incorporate geospatial statistics such as transfer times and rurality (but that's a long ways away).

I have to go just a bit north of Edmonton since I have datapoints there and suppressing Mexico would be nice because I don't have datapoints south of continental US.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D_sGXsPXoAALDwl.jpg:large

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation